Bug report: Edit App icon in Software Licences section.

Options
mgshoutman
mgshoutman
Community Member
edited January 2021 in Mac

I discovered a small bug in 1Password 7.7. macOS in case I want to edit (read update) the app icon in Software Licences section which is NOT on installed.

Please follow below steps to reproduce.

1) Open 1Password
2) Open Software Licenses section
3) Open app to be edited
4) Double-click app icon and choose Other
5) Now find app in Application folder.
6) If the app is NOT on the hard disk you download app and put in Application folder.
7) Repeat step 5 but new app is NOT visible in Application folder.
8) Quit 1Password, repeat above steps and added app is visible now…

Conclusion: when 1Password is open it does not see updated content of (Application) folder if changed.

_1Password Version: 7.7.
_Extension Version:7070001
_OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
_Sync Type: 1Password sync

Comments

• @mgshoutman

What version of macOS are you using? I am having trouble reproducing this on Big Sur. If I download an app and place it in the Application folder as you describe, the view is automatically updated in the selection window. Thanks for helping me track this down.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

hi ais written above I'm on 10.15.7.

I installed AppZapper. It was not visible as mentioned above. Then I deleted AppZapper and as you can see 1PAssword still sees a generic icon.

Then I installed Chatology and same issue!

Abobve is Finder view in 1Password and below Finder view in Finder

• @mgshoutman

I had several posts open and working my way though replying. It looks like you may have edited your post while I was typing. Sorry for the mix up. I am unable to replicate this on 10.15.7. Perhaps I am making a mistake in my testing.

1. Add Software entry.
    2. Double-click app icon and choose Other
    3. Now find app in Application folder. My app is not in the Applications folder. I leave this window open
    4. Download the app and move it to the Applications folder via the shortcut in the dmg.
    5. Return to the 1Password chooser window. The app is not shown.
    6. Save my entry.
    • In my testing I used the BBEdit app.
  • mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again,

Sorry but I'm NOT talking about ADDING a new Software licence but CHANGING the current app icon which is already in the 1Password Software licence section. I just noticed the issue but does not further bother me as I know how to fix it: Quit and Open 1Password.

But since we are talking now, I have a feature request for already 5 years now: Make Software License sorting not only available for Name but also for the Version number which is linked to the very same entry. Now I have to add empty spaces after the Name the sort the Version number too. Bit awkward but seems difficult to implement. (Read my postings in the past)

Cheers, Michael

• @mgshoutman

I would be happy to bring this up with the team again.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

awesome :)

• You're welcome. I can't make any promises. That said, I believe the chances are presently on the slim side. As far as I know there are only a few requests for this type of feature. We try to bring features that will benefit the most users along with always maintaining their security.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

Thwre are people with a few licenses and with many. I belong to latter group. Image keeping all different version without being cluttered and not sorted. It becomes a mess and only possibilityf is now to add spaces after the Name. That feels as a very poor solution. I hope you agree :)

• I also belong to the latter group. I can see the benefit. Though some time back I took a different approach. I now include all of my licenses in a single entry. It's just more to my liking.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, so we share something and I haven’t even mention all 1Password entries since 1.0 ;)

I also thought about your take, but to be honest all becomes even messier (confusing) if you want to add order date, order number etc. etc.

I remember asking this for version sorting a zillion time. Sure Agilebits implemented alpha numeric sorting through the app some versions ago, but for me (and apparently you) its not enough.

You might want to put your influence and effort to convince the team to finally implement this feature.

From my side I could offer to do a full review of Dutch localisation. It is the most horrible implementation ever if your device is set in Dutch language. (My Macs and devices are set in En since 1986) I think in the past you had an open structure for localisation, so anybody could opt in. This seems a nice and cheap solution, but understanding iOS language strings is a serious job. Now even the Categories have only one word (trash) localised. Really.

This discussion has been closed.