HELP! Someone just stole my computer and I cannot get into my 1Password account -- secret key???

I just got robbed and now I cannot log into my 1Password account. When I try the login asks for a secret key, that I do not have. And without the 1Password account I cannot log into my email. What do I do?

Dan Klein in distress

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:HELP! Someone just stole my computer and I cannot get into my 1Password account -- secret key???

Comments

• @Lotta

I'm sorry to hear about such a horrible even occurring. Are you safe? If not, please seek a safe place.

A Secret Key is part of our membership offering for syncing through 1Password.com. If you don't have a membership, you would not have a Secret Key. Instead, you would likely be using one of the other 3rd party sync methods. Do you use one of our memberships? If not, you would need to configure your setup to use your chose sync type.

• Lotta
    Lotta
    Community Member

Thanks, safe and sound but desperate! I am a paying member and I have a 1Password master password. But I do not know of a secret key. Also, I use 1Password to access my email, hence I cannot reach the reset email message from the login-help. Can I call you or someone to get help? I do not know how to proceed!

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@Lotta

Do you have any additional devices? If so, you may be able to locate your Secret Key by following this set of instructions.

Encrypted copies of your Secret Key are stored in your device backups and keychains to provide data loss protection. If you have iCloud Drive enabled and lose your Mac, iPhone, or iPad, you can restore from a backup and unlock 1Password with just your Master Password.

You are always welcome to contact us via email if you prefer using support@1password.com.

• Also you may be able to take advantage of Account Recovery. It must have been setup and configured prior to this.

• Lotta
    Lotta
    Community Member

Hi Tommy,

Lotta is my wife. I am Dan. I am the one whose had his computer stolen. I am American, Lotta is Swedish. I am with her in Stockholm at present.
    No one shared my 1Password account with me. I just set it up for myself.
    I would really love to talk to someone by phone about my predicament.
    Is that possible?
    I know my master password but I have no recollection of a Secret Key. I just used my master password for everything.

• @Lotta / Dan

If you are not using a membership (subscription) through us then you would not have a Secret Key. It sounds as if you may have been using our standalone version. In that situation you would need to point your new device at your sync setup such as iCloud or Dropbox on the Welcome screen.

While we're not presently equipped to offer phone support, we would be happy to work with you by email. We have a great track record for helping folks over email.

You can contact us support@1password.com.

• Lotta
    Lotta
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

I am a paying subscriber. I have had the serve since sometime in October and paid a one-year fee for it.

I cannot get into my Dropbox because I cannot get into my 1Password -- (Catch-22).

As for an email account I can access, this one works: .

~ Email removed for your privacy. This is a public forum.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@Lotta / Dan

If you have a membership, the Secret Key would have been provided at account creation via Download. We are unable to discuss account details in the forum for your protection and privacy. We would need you to email us.

Memberships do not require Dropbox to sync. If you did not download the Secret Key and it's not available on another device, we would be unable to assist you. We never have access to your Secret Key.

I removed the email you provided in your post for your protection.

• Lotta
    Lotta
    Community Member

Good news: I got someone to check a piece of paper back home, and it does have a Secret Key, so I may be in business! Thank you!

• @Lotta / Dan

That's the best news I have had all day! Good Luck. Make sure to keep it stored safely.

This discussion has been closed.