I am using the mrc-converter-suite to import Password Safe items. Having problems with perl [Solved]

Options
tomf5044
tomf5044
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When I run install_modules.bat in Windows cmd, I get a series of error messages. Looks like one for each module it's trying to install. Here's the first one: "Installing XML::Xpath failed. See C:\Users.....cpanm\work\1611341620.12536\build.log for details".
I can't find the log file that's mentioned.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:password safe from beyond trust - I can't get perl working to run mrc-converter on Win 10

Comments

• Hi @tomf5044 👋

Since it sounds like you're trying to use @MrC's converter suite and running into a few issues there, let's go ahead and get some more information before MrC shows up.

• Your version of 1Password
    • The name and version of the password manager you are converting from
    • Your OS and version: Windows or Mac OS X
  • MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2021
    Options

@tomf5044 ,

I looks like you installed Strawberry Perl somewhere in your home folder, which is a custom location. This may not work due to things like spaces in folder names, etc.

Please try the default location (which would be C:\Strawberry). Uninstall Strawberry Perl, and reinstall using the default location.

I just tested a clean install, and the module installation worked fine on Win 10x64.

• tomf5044
    tomf5044
    Community Member
    Options

*MrC and Blake, I really appreciate the quick response. I am brand new to 1Password and impressed with the support responsiveness.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Perl following MrC's instructions. It's running from C:\Strawberry now.

I had to move the mrc-converter-suite to C:\tomfa\Desktop by dragging it over from C:\OneDrive\Desktop before I could follow MrC's instructions for what to do in the command window.

I've attached a screen shot of that session. As you can see there are still errors and I believe they are the same ones as before.

I did manage to find the build.log files but I can't figure out how to attach a txt file here
    . It keeps saying file format not allowed. So here's a fragment that I copied from it:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ERROR: Can't create 'C:\STRAWB~1\perl\site\lib\XML'
    mkdir C:\STRAWB~1\perl\site\lib\XML: Permission denied; Access is denied at C:/Strawberry/perl/lib/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 489.

Maybe this is some kind of privilege issue. I am an admin for this PC, but I didn't get a prompt for allowing changes in this situation.

Thanks for any advice you can give. I'm not much of a computer guy these days, but 45 years ago I was a a pretty good fortran programmer!

--Tom

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@tomf5044

This is the first time I've had a user with this issue, so bear with me as I try to understand what is causing the issue. Two questions:

1. Does that file system have 8.3 file names disabled?
    2. Are you able to create a folder with the exact name shown in the screen shot above, using the command shell?
  • tomf5044
    tomf5044
    Community Member
    Options

MrC:

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. I think I'm running a typical Windows 10. As far as I know I have never done anything to enable or disable 8.3 filenames. Is there an easy way to check this status?

2. I did try to create the directory myself in the command shell and got the access denied message.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2021
    Options

@tomf5044

I did try to create the directory myself in the command shell and got the access denied message.

Ok, this is the source of the problem. For whatever reason, your user is unable to write to that directory. This implies to me that either your user does not have Admin access, or some policy is in place to deny your user writing to that area, or some antivirus is preventing access there.

Once you are able to write to that area as "you", the installation should be fine.

• tomf5044
    tomf5044
    Community Member
    Options

I have gotten the additional perl modules to install. The the thing that made the difference was was to use "Run as adminstrator" when starting up the command shell.

Thanks for help and for all your work on this set of converters!

--Tom

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@tomf5044

Excellent, glad you got it solved.

Enjoy 1Password!

• Thanks for all of your help @MrC! 💙

This discussion has been closed.