Session environment variable and cache question

Options
Kennyties
Kennyties
Community Member

Hello all,

Is the environment variable and cache refreshed after the 24 hour period or does the environment variable stay the same? I would like to automatically log into my account without the need to enter in my password so that I can use Burnt Toast to notify me when a password has not been updated after "X" days.
I also tried using the "eval" and export function but I don't believe I am understanding how to use it correctly.
eval (.\op signin short hand example)

And the export function:
export (.\op signin short hand example)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Kennyties,

Thanks for writing in about remaining logged in using the command-line tool. You've raised a few points, so let me answer them in order.

Is the environment variable and cache refreshed after the 24 hour period

It looks like you're using PowerShell on Windows. At the moment, the cache feature only works on macOS and Linux. The cache feature is just meant to speed up access and doesn't actually help you remain logged in.

I would like to automatically log into my account without the need to enter in my password

op signin will prompt you for your Master Password and output a command that can save your session token to an environment variable. Session tokens expire after 30 minutes of inactivity, after which you’ll need to sign in again.

If you can have Burnt Toast continue to perform an action using the command-line tool every 29 minutes (or less), then it should remain logged in. I would caution you that anyone with access to that PowerShell terminal would potentially have access to your 1Password information.

I also tried using the "eval" and export function but I don't believe I am understanding how to use it correctly.

Invoke-Expression $(op signin company) is how you would sign in using PowerShell, and you should not need to export an environment variable because you are using Invoke-Expression

I hope that helps, please feel free to write back with any further questions.

Thanks for using 1Password!

April Bowler
    1Password Developer

• Kennyties
    Kennyties
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_April this is very helpful to know, especially about the token. I may create a burnt toast notification to perform an action every 29 minutes to avoid being logged out.

• Glad to hear this was helpful!

Of course, let us know if you have any further questions.

April Bowler
    1Password Developer

This discussion has been closed.