Chrome Browser on iMac running Catalina Constantly asked to enter master password

Options
scrow9
scrow9
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm not sure if this is Chrome or an iMac OSX issue but I am constantly being asked to enter my Master Password. I've gone so far as changing the timeout duration to 300 minutes but it doesn't seem to help both in the Chrome extension and in the desktop 1password 7 desktop app.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 1Password X – Password Manager 1.22.3
OS Version: 10.5.7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:constantly asked to enter master password

Comments

• Hey @scrow9. 1Password in your browser and 1Password for Mac don't share lock settings (currently), so if you've set the timeout on one but not the other, you won't see a match between the two. Another thing to note is that if you completely close your web browser, 1Password in your browser will lock, regardless of the timeout you've specified.

Does this clarify things here for you, or are you still seeing unexpected behavior?

• scrow9
    scrow9
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I have set the timeouts individually so I am good there but even with Chrome open it will still lock up repeatedly

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@scrow9 – I wonder if you could grab your console log from 1Password in the browser next time you notice it lock unexpectedly. That should help point us in the right direction. We've got a guide that explains how to grab your log here. Along with that, could you take a screenshot of the Security section on the settings page for 1Password in the browser? You can get there by right clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, then click Settings. Here's what mine look like, for example.

• scrow9
    scrow9
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kaitlyn, I could only find a security section for the 1Password desktop application on my Mac, this is what it looks like:

• @scrow9

In Chrome right-click the 1Password icon and choose settings.

• scrow9
    scrow9
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_tommy, I'm on a Mac! This is what I see when I right click

• scrow9
    scrow9
    Community Member
    Options

The closest I have to that for my browser plugin is:

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@scrow9 – Ah, alright. I think we may be referring to different things. Your last screenshot is of the 1Password web app. Is that what's locking you out unexpectedly?

• scrow9
    scrow9
    Community Member
    Options

OK, yes I am indeed getting confused by what I see as three different 1passwords "apps" 1) The web app which I mistoke for the chrome browser extension, 2) The Chrome Browser extension and 3) the desktop app......so here is the security section for the Chrome Extension and I think I see the issue - it says 10 minutes!

• scrow9
    scrow9
    Community Member
    Options

I should set this as high as possible right if I want to avoid all these time outs?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@scrow9 – That's okay! We're here to figure that out for you, but I just wanted to make sure I was clear on which 1Password product was locking unexpectedly.

That's exactly what I was looking for. As of right now, 1Password in the browser (the extension, not the web app) will lock after your system is idle for 10 minutes. You're welcome to adjust that to your liking. :chuffed:

• scrow9
    scrow9
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I raised it to 360 minutes for now, let's see what impact that has on my experience!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @scrow9! Thank you for the update :+1:

This discussion has been closed.