"(deleted item)" when trying to create a Document

Comments

• chinfuzzy
    chinfuzzy
    Community Member

Ditto to the original poster's problem. In 1Password for iOS 7.4.2, on an iPhone SD, trying to add a new file to an existing login item then choosing 'Photo from Camera Roll' appears to work, but the new item appears with title "(deleted item)". If I tap Save, then tap the new entry under Related Items, it can be highlighted but will not open.

Want diagnostics or any other details?

• Hi @chinfuzzy

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having creating Documents as related items. That doesn't sound like the original poster's problem, though... They were specifically asking for a feature whereby a file that is in 1Password as a Document could be replaced by a different file. Could you please walk us through all of the steps you're taking and under what conditions you're seeing this result?

Ben

• chinfuzzy
    chinfuzzy
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

I'm using 1Password for IOS 7.4.2 on an iPhone SE (i.e. small screen) with IOS 12.4.1, with some vaults on 1Password.com and some local vaults in Dropbox.

1. I locate a login item, then tap Edit, then scroll down to Related Items and tap Add New File.

2. I get a dialog asking "What type of Document do you wish to create?" and tap on Photo from Camera Roll.

3. I get a screenful of Photos, tap on All Photos, then tap on a photo's thumbnail.

4. I'm returned to the login item in editing mode, but now Related Items contains a new item named (for example)
      (deleted item)
      IMG_2342.PNG

What else can I tell you?

Many thanks!

• Thanks @chinfuzzy. It appears there is a bug that I believe you may be affected by. Could you please check in 1Password > Settings > Vaults > All Vaults > Vault for Saving and see if that is set to the vault that the item you're editing in step 1 lives in? If it does not match, then you're running up against the aforementioned bug. I believe you should be able to work around that by switching to the vault the item you're editing is in first before following the rest of your steps. You can switch vaults using the vault switcher at the top left of the app.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4283

• chinfuzzy
    chinfuzzy
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, Yes, that's it! The Vault for Saving did not match. And with the workaround, the new Document is created and is usable -- no "(deleted item)". Many thanks! Is this bug on track to be fixed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! Glad Ben was able to help. The development team is aware of the issue.

• MortalWombatUK
    MortalWombatUK
    Community Member

I have just come across this bug today (latest version of everything). The workaround does work though!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know! :+1:

• b3i2g1
    b3i2g1
    Community Member

Same here. Ran into this problem just now and had to use the work around.

• Thanks @b3i2g1. :)

Ben

• Liptrot
    Liptrot
    Community Member

Time to prod the development team on this one. I just ran into it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @Liptrot :+1:

• mdw123
    mdw123
    Community Member

I was just trying to store my updated insurance information - same bug. Seems time to either kill the attached files feature or make it work as seamlessly as the rest of your product.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

@mdw123:

Thank you for your feedback! I have added your experience to the internal issue we are using to track this bug :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#4283

• xolotl
    xolotl
    Community Member

I also just experienced this bug and was able to use the workaround to deal with it, but I'll never remember the workaround next time I need to attach a file so I'd love to see it fixed. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member

Just experienced this bug also. Work around worked for me. Is there a fix planned for this?

• Glad to hear the workaround worked here, @more_cowbell. I'll follow up with development and see if there are plans to address the situation beyond that. Thanks! :)

Ben

• mtlin
    mtlin
    Community Member

Ran into exact issue.
    Please fix, it's a significant usability problem.

• Thanks @mtlin. I've asked development to take another look at this. :+1:

Ben

• tmchow
    tmchow
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

I just hit this bug too. Seems like it’s important to fix otherwise it encourages us to not use attachments and instead upload the photos as separate documents which then aren’t properly linked.

The vault used to save the attachment should be opaque to the user in this case. Of course we want it in the same vault as the item we are attaching it to!

• I'm sorry to hear that @tmchow. You can avoid this problem entirely by first switching to the vault that the item you want to add an attachment is in. We don't have room in the v7.7 release to address this, but hopefully we'll be able to get this sorted so that isn't necessary in a future release.

Ben

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member

I just experienced this bug as well, any ETA on it being tackled?

• bmfull
    bmfull
    Community Member

I just discovered this bug whilst trying to upload a photo from camera roll; also happens whilst taking a photo with camera. Have tried this with opening the app with different, and all Vaults selected and the same error occurs. The workaround mentioned previously is not working for me. iOS 14.4 and 1Password version 7.7

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Not yet @wavesound, sorry!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bmfull:

Thank you for the update! I have let our developers know that you are encountering this as well :+1:

• kpitt
    kpitt
    Community Member

Looks like this is still an issue. Ran into this same problem today using 1Password 7.7.1 on an iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 14.4. The workaround of changing the “Vault for Saving” to match the edited item did work, however.

Before I found this thread, I tried to work around the problem by adding a photo directly as a new Document, which worked fine, and then linking to it from the original item. However, I wasn’t able to find an option to link an existing Document as a related item even though this is exactly what 1Password produces when you add a new related item. Did I miss something?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kpitt:

At the moment this is indeed the only way to link an item in the iOS app: if you add a photo directly to the original item (tap Edit, then tap Add New File), the result is the one you are looking for. Adding a separate item first and then linking it is currently only available in the desktop apps though.

• xtremetoonz
    xtremetoonz
    Community Member

I’m concerned this bug is going to bite me down the road. If I change the settings for all vaults so this works, what happens when I change it to store it in a different vault next time. Will the file I just saved still be available? What if I move that password item to a different vault, will the file still be available? It seems this function really needs some attention given the feedback on this thread and making a safe assumption many more are having the issue but don’t go out of their way to look into it or post their challenges.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@xtremetoonz:

Will the file I just saved still be available?

Yes it would :+1:

What if I move that password item to a different vault, will the file still be available?

My understanding is that once this bug has been addressed, it should not appear again in the future, even if you switch vaults later on.

This discussion has been closed.