Emergency Kit vs Emergency Access Explained

Options
MONKi1P
MONKi1P
Community Member

Can someone help me understand the implementations of Emergency Kit compared to Emergency Access. Quick background: I'm a recently rejoined 1Password user I have who has trusted and used LastPass for years, tested Dashlane on & off, and more recently tried Bitwarden which also just recently implemented an Emergency Access feature.

Could someone who understands the technical backend stuff explain to me how these implementations are different interns of security. I've read through much of the forum here but I am not sure if I understood it well enough but don't take me wrong @brenty has given some great answers to forum posts. I assume Bitwarden gives a lot of insight into their implementation since their code is open source. What is their implementation, is it secure, and is it any different from LastPass or Dashlane?

I want security first and foremost but at the same time I cannot deny the convenience of Emergency Access. Many users have shared that they use Emergency Access from other password managers to allow family or friends to get access to their 1Password Emergency Kit and others have provided their Emergency Kit to a lawyer or split it and given it to separate individuals. There are so many possibilities and I hope top get some thoughts on this to help me make more sense of it all.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

1Password has not addressed this issue in any systematic or substantive way beyond their strong and often stated recommendation that each user create, update if necessary, and securely store a printed or recorded Emergency Kit. While users are thus left on their own to make whatever arrangements they feel are appropriate, the 1Password approach does manage to avoid the "one-size-fits-all" constraints of other PM packages' emergency access protocols.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MONKi1P!

I just wanted to share this forum discussion with you, since it touches on a few of the topics you mentioned in your own post. I am hoping you will find some of the information there useful, but by all means let us know if you have any follow up questions :+1:

• MONKi1P
    MONKi1P
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @ag_ana for sharing that one. I haven't read that yet.

So @rob mentioned in 2019 Sep that LastPass' implementation would work for 1Password and he said "If we were to implement the same feature it would look very much like the implementation documented by LastPass. Unfortunately we've not made any changes there yet, but it is a feature we'd like to introduce eventually."

16 months later, what's the latest on this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MONKi1P:

Nothing new to share I am afraid.

• MONKi1P
    MONKi1P
    Community Member
    Options

Fingers cross that this is just you guys keeping everything close to the chest and just waiting to drop it on us ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.