NEW 2FA requirement from a health care provider

For the second time in the past two weeks, I have been notified by a healthcare provider (in different states) that the provider has installed 2FA (as a condition of sign in). Both providers offered a choice of process of SMS or auto-phone delivery of the 2FA code for keying into the system. At no time in the setup was I presented with a QR code. I own 1Password for my 100+ passwords and I own a Yubikey. . I think the smartphone-based process (call or SMS) is much less secure than the security-key based one.
Is there a way to insert either 1Password or my security key into the process to eliminate the hand keying of a code?

1Password Version: 7.6.791
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: WIN 10.2.0.1000
Sync Type: ??
Referrer: forum-search:2fa healthcare

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dgraves!

Is there a way to insert either 1Password or my security key into the process to eliminate the hand keying of a code?

Yes, you just need the 2FA QR code to setup the feature:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

I have seen websites that don't show you additional 2FA options if you already have an existing one enabled, until you disable it and configure it again. It is possible that this website is doing the same thing, so I would recommend reaching out to them asking for documentation or instructions on how to retrieve your QR code, and start from there :)

• dgraves
    dgraves
    Community Member

I spoke to the vendor yesterday. The 2FA requirement is new. They are releasing an updated version shortly to resolve operational problems.with their predominantly older user population the help desk is getting overwhelmed
    Will see what they come up with.

• Let us know if we can be of assistance.

This discussion has been closed.