How do you set up the domain breach report?

It says "add a text (TXT) record containing the verification code to the DNS entry for the domain you want to verify". But it only provides one value to enter into your DNS records. However, TXT DNS records require an Name/Host/Alias PLUS a Value/Answer/Destination. Is the alias separated by the = sign or what? Very confusing.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:dns verify

Comments

• Hi there @roginator! Welcome to the Support Community. :smile:

Just to make sure I was refreshed on setting up a Domain Breach Report myself, I ran through a quick test of this on my end. When selecting the option on 1Password.com to verify a domain with a TXT DNS record, you'll be provided the value that you need to enter into the "Value" or "Record" field on your DNS provider's end. As far as what would go in the "Host" or "Name" field, this would generally be an @ symbol to indicate the record should be tied to your root domain.

Give this a shot and let me know how it goes for you! I'll be on the lookout for your reply. :+1:

• roginator
    roginator
    Community Member

Hi @ag_joshua, thanks will give that a try. The value I've been asked to add looks like this (don't worry, I changed it) 1password-site-verification=JFDHDHFKFKFJU5MJY7KFGHSJFNBD. Is that entire string the value or just the JFDHDHFKFKFJU5MJY7KFGHSJFNBD part? This is all super confusing.

• Hi again @roginator!

Is that entire string the value or just the JFDHDHFKFKFJU5MJY7KFGHSJFNBD part?

It'd be the entire string, including the 1password-site-verification portion at the beginning. Once you've added this TXT record to through your DNS provider, you should be good to go with confirming the verification within 24 hours. :+1:

• roginator
    roginator
    Community Member

OK thanks @ag_joshua. Will give it more time to propagate. I highly recommend you are more specific about the alias and the value in your instructions. It's pretty confusing right now. Thanks for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @roginator! Please let us know how it goes :+1:

• roginator
    roginator
    Community Member

Thanks guys, this is now working for me now. I was making a mistake with our DNS records but I highly recommend that you're explicit about what should be in the alias and what should be in the value of the TXT record in your instructions. Often, this type of verification involves adding a specific alias plus the value. In your case, the alias needs to point at the domain root.

• Thanks for sharing this feedback with us, and I'm glad to hear that this is now working, @roginator!

I just wanted to get back to you and let you know that I passed this along internally to our Docs team for further consideration. They're always looking for ways to improve our support pages, so I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. :smile:

ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#2646

• roginator
    roginator
    Community Member

@ag_joshua thanks, you're welcome!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.