Safari breaks 1Password-assisted iCloud.com login

Options
xz4gb8
xz4gb8
Community Member

Accessing iCloud.com using Safari or Safari Technology Preview is broken.

Selecting an iCloud login item in 1Password and clicking Go, or, after opening Safari or STP directly. a new dialog box appears with a suggested iCloud login ID. If "Continue with Password" is clicked, another dialog box pops up requesting the Password. 1Password does not recognize this. I have found two possible workarounds:

1. Click "Cancel" on the initial dialog and use 1Password as usual.
    or
  2. Manually copy and paste the password from 1Password.

Having both a developers ID and a user ID, I often have to cancel the first dialog anyway.

Have your seen this? Do you have any ideas besides working up a Apple bug report?

macOS 10.15.7 (19H114) on Mac mini (2018)
1Password 7
Version 7.7.1.BETA-6 (70701006)
1Password Beta

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@xz4gb8 "If 'Continue with Password' is clicked, another dialog box pops up requesting the Password."
    That password is for your device, not 1Password or AppleID.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    Options

@vplewis -- thanks
    That certainly breaks "the rule of minimum astonishment". My name is my name in many places, including iCloud. I would assume that this is for keychain access. But there is no hint.

Of course, I have to keep my login password more typable than my bank password (by 1Password).

The bigger annoyance is that the dialog box is modal for all of Safari, not just that page. Normally I can navigate away from a page with a credential entry form, but not this one. I have to explicitly cancel the dialog just to exit the page.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @xz4gb8!

I have seen the same behavior on https://appleid.apple.com/ too. It seems to be a recent change (and only for Macs with Touch ID apparently). Like you, the best way I found to avoid this is to dismiss the Apple dialog so the regular login forms shows.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana -- I encounter this problem on my 2018 Mini running Catalina -- no touch screen or button.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xz4gb8:

Interesting, I have an old MacBook Air and the traditional login form is the only one that appears. Perhaps it has something to do with the Secure Enclave then.

This discussion has been closed.