Safari extension always open 1Password.app after restart

Options

I'm using 1Password extension for Safari. The extension often open and switch to 1Password.app for unlocking 1Password instead of the extension asking the master password directly.

When I log in to any website and the extension show "Unlock 1Password", so I click this button, then Mac open 1Password.app and ask master password. After unlocking, the app close, switches back to Safari, and show the suggestion of items. This means, if I'm using Safari in fullscreen mode, the display switch to the Desktop from Safari window, and after unlocking, switch back to Safari.

I found the solution of it: Turn on "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" in the preferences of 1Password.app. It actually works. But my Mac always turn off it after restarting the system, so the problem always occur after restart.
I have another Mac, but it has never shown such a problem.
How can I keep the preference on?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7 (Included)
OS Version: macOS 11.1
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hey @akimi. Do you have any apps on your system that might be altering app data in any way? Things like CleanMyMac, etc.

• akimi
    akimi
    Community Member
    Options

I don’t know which app changes app data.
    At least, I don’t have obvious disk cleaning tools like CleanMyMac. Login items ( System Preferences → User & Groups ) are Browserosaurus, Maccy, Brewlet, Mountain Duck, Creative Cloud, JetBrains Toolbox, Docker, 1Password Extension Helper, all of them do not seem so.
    Note: I added the Extension Helper to Login Items manually. I used to launch 1Password mini in older version of 1Password as login item (it worked), so I tried the same measurement.

• Hey @akimi — you should actually not manually put any 1Password items in your macOS Login Items. You should indeed have "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" turned on in Preferences. If you make that change and restart, do you notice a difference?

• akimi
    akimi
    Community Member
    Options

I turned on "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" and quitted the app, then worked correctly as I expected. However, when I shut down and booted the system, it didn't work. I opened the app, and found the setting turned off.
    I tried it twice.

As I remarked before, this happens in one of my Macs and don't in others. (using same 1Password account)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hey @akimi ,
    Thanks for the additional info.

Something seems to be disabling that setting in 1Password, or rather the setting just isn't being written to the disk.
    I'd like you to restart in Safe Mode, then open the 1Password app and enable the extension helper in the settings, then restart and see if it remained enabled.

If that didn't help, I suggest you try the following:

• akimi
    akimi
    Community Member
    Options

Your suggestion (uninstalling completely and then re-install) worked. Now comfortable password manager.

Thank you.

• @akimi

On behalf of everyone, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.