Multi-Factor Auth on iOS device requires me to enter code 3 times before accepted

Options
stevenc
stevenc
Community Member

I am trying to use MFA with my 1password.com account,
and running into issues with the 1PW app on my iPhone.

I have set MFA up on my mac laptop and it works fine there.
On initial set up I have to enter the confirm code once and
after that the device seems to be authorized, it will not prompt me again for the confirm code.
The 1PW MFA works the same way on my mac desktop - requires MFA for the first login,
then it just requires my master pass to login after that.

But when it comes to my iPhone - it is not working at all.
When i try to use the 1PW app on my iOS device I get the Two Factor Authentication screen
asking for a Confirm Code - so I go to Google Authenticator, get the 6 dig code,
and then back to 1PW to put it in.
The app does not seem to accept the confirm code - the same 2FA screen pops right back up again
asking for the confirm code again. I discovered that if copy the same confirm code 3 times in a row
the 2FA screen stops popping up, and I can use the app. BUT the next time
I come back to use 1PW I get the same 2FA screen and have to go through the same process again.
EVERY SINGLE TIME - i am prompted with the 2FA screen and it always requires me to copy the confirm code 3 times in row.

• I have checked that the time on my iPhone is in sync with my laptop and browsers, I watch the time change
    at the same moment on all devices.

• I have tried to turn MFA on/off multiple times, re-auth my devices each time.

• I have tried using a different auth app - Tried Microsoft Authenticator instead of Google, but got the same issue.

This behavior is driving me crazy as I sometimes have to go into 1PW a dozen times or more each day.
It seems like the only way around this is to turn of MFA all together which I really like to avoid.

I am using an iPhone 11 Pro running iOS 14.3, and 1PW 7.7. the app is using FaceID, it is signed into my 1password.com account, and the vault is syncing to iCloud.

Not sure what else to try, would appreciate suggestions. thanks.

1Password Version: 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevenc! Welcome to the forum!

What version of iOS is this happening with? I think you enter your macOS version in your post instead :)

• stevenc
    stevenc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    I’m using the latest version of the iOS and the latest version of 1PW for iOS

I am using an iPhone 11 Pro running iOS >14.3, and 1PW 7.7. the app is using >FaceID, it is signed into my 1password.com >account, and the vault is syncing to iCloud.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2021
    Options

@stevenc:

Thank you for the confirmation! I was a bit confused by this:

OS Version: 10.14.6

All clear now though! Since this is iOS, I know that some of my colleagues managed to reproduce this issue, and reported this to our developers already. The current workaround that was suggested is this:

1. Make sure all data is in your account already
    2. Delete the 1Password app and reinstall it
    3. Fill in your account credentials but do not sign in yet
    4. Switch to the authenticator app to get your 2FA code
    5. Switch back to the 1Password app and sign in
    6. Enter the code without switching away from 1Password

Basically, it is important to do all of this without switching away from 1Password. Afterwards, things should work as expected again :)

ref: dev/apple/issues#5053

• stevenc
    stevenc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    those steps worked!
    resolved my issue.
    thank you!

• On behalf of Ana, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.