TOTP generated by browser extension on protonmail results in "Invalid login"

Hi,

I have an intermittent issue when using the browser extension to login to my protonmail account. This in Firefox (85.0) on Linux and my extension version is 1.23.0 - I ask 1password to autofill my login credentials which works ok and it then autofills the TOTP on the next page. Protonmail reports an invalid login attempt. Very occasionally it works but more frequently than not it does not. If I pop open the extension to look at the protonmail login, I see the TOTP in the protonmail page is the same as the one in the extension and that the extension is reporting it has plenty of time left to expire (I.E. it is not that the TOTP expires before I attempt the login). My system clock is set correctly with the correct timezone (I use ntp). If I look at the login in the 1password app on my android phone, I have a different TOTP code and the TOTP codes from my phone always work ok. The clock on my phone reports the same time as my computer.

Any idea what is going on?

Many Thanks,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.23.0
OS Version: Linux 5.10.12.arch1-1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:protonmail

Comments

• Hello @raoulmillais, thanks for reaching out to us! Can you try setting your system clock manually (not using NTP) and let us know if you're still having the same problem?

• raoulmillais
    raoulmillais
    Community Member

I'd rather not do that as it's useful to have my clocks synchronised correctly. I have a workaround (use the TOTP generated by phone) and I don't have problems signing in to other websites with 2FA configured with 1password. I'll post an issue in protonmail support and see if anyone else has this problem there.

• Sounds good, @raoulmillais! I did a quick Google search and found that NTP was an issue with people using Google Authenticator, so that’s why I figured we’d double check that first. Please do keep me posted on what you hear from ProtonMail.

This discussion has been closed.