Recovery Keys for 2fa 1password

Hi

The category is not entirely Windows, but no Category suited best.

When enabling 2fa for my 1password Account there were no recovery-codes to download as it is usual on other sites if you do not have access to your phone anymore. That makes me a little nervous about loosing access to 1password in case of not having access to my 2fa-app.

Why is it that I can not download recovery-codes for 2fa in 1password?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Recovery Keys for 2fa 1password

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

@chtonios I think the 1Password position is that they would like people to focus on saving their Secret Key and don't want to dilute the message or cause confusion by also having Recovery Codes.

The 1Password team can help you if you lose your 2FA token as they control the server side of 2FA. They cannot help you if you lose your Secret Key as this is used to encrypt your password database and remains on your local device.

Also, a number of authenticator apps allow you to back-up your 2FA tokens. I use Authy to share tokens across devices and also keep a record of the manual entry 2FA secret so that I can set-up another authenticator app if required.

• chtonios
    chtonios
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

@missingbits thank you very much! If they can help me restore 2FA and it will not result in losing access to 1password that is great, no need for recovery codes then. The secret key is stored physically in a safe, I have that ensured. Thanks also for mentioning authy, I will check that out.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@chtonios glad I was able to help. Its also worth saying that as long as you still have access to one of your 1Password apps then you can always turn-off 2FA. If you're setting up Authy then, as well as scanning the QR code, copy and paste the manual entry 2FA secret to somewhere safe. I also have a YubiKey, just to be on the safe side :wink:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Let us know if you have any further questions @chtonios :+1:

And thank you to @missingbits for the help here :)

• chtonios
    chtonios
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

@ag_ana thanks. Everything's clear now:)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @chtonios,

If you’re interested in the reason why there are no backup codes you can read this post:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/524761#Comment_524761

It should explain the reason in detail. 😉

• chtonios
    chtonios
    Community Member

@DenalB thank you, I am always interested in learning something new ;-)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Great. Glad that I could help a bit @chtonios. 😉

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.