1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-7 (70701007) 1Password Beta broke Safari Privacy card creation

David Lewis
David Lewis
Community Member

I click in a CC field in Safari 14.0.3. The Safari extension, oddly enough, says it's 7.7.1.BETA-6, whereas 1Password itself says it's 7.7.1.BETA-7.
I select Create a Privacy Card. The dialog pops up.
I give it a name, tell it to create a spending limit and set the Frequency to Forever. I click Create and Fill.
I get a dialog saying, "Click OK to create and fill a Privacy Card using 1Password on . I click OK.
I get a dialog saying, "Click OK to fill your 1Password item on . Note that the Privacy card creation dialog is still visible behind this one. It hasn't gone away, so that it's between the dialog and the credit card field on the web site. At this point, I am stuck in a loop; no matter whether I click OK or Cancel, the same dialog reappears. I have to close the whole page to get control back, and the Privacy card is not created.

Note that it doesn't actually matter whether I try to set a spending limit or not.

1Password Version: 7.7.1.BETA-7 (70701007)
Extension Version: 7.7.1.BETA-6
OS Version: MacOS 11.2
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @David Lewis!

I click in a CC field in Safari 14.0.3. The Safari extension, oddly enough, says it's 7.7.1.BETA-6, whereas 1Password itself says it's 7.7.1.BETA-7.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with the behavior you are reporting, but I think it's worth making sure we take care of this for good measure. Can you please quit Safari completely, and then quit 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), before you relaunch both 1Password and Safari?

Does the extension version match your app version now?

• David Lewis
    David Lewis
    Community Member

Yes it does match now. And the problem went away. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

• @David Lewis

We're happy we could help.

• David Lewis
    David Lewis
    Community Member

When you do an in-place update to the software, popping up a dialog telling the user to quit and relaunch Safari if it's running would avoid this issue.

• kengetz
    kengetz
    Community Member

Unfortunately, I'm having the same problem with Privacy and 1Password, and in my case, the versions of the Safari Extension and 1Password itself match (beta 7). I've had this problem for quite a while. I get caught in a loop that doesn't allow me to do anything. I have only once been able to create a Privacy card (the first time I tried, months ago). Since then, 1Password puts me in a fail loop.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@David Lewis:

Normally this shouldn't happen even if Safari is running, so that should not be necessary. However, I have seen this happen a couple of times, so in those cases quitting and relaunching always helped :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kengetz:

Have you tried quitting 1Password completely too, even if the version numbers match?

• kengetz
    kengetz
    Community Member

I quit and restart all the time, but I’ll y this speciFically next time Privacy fails. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @kengetz, let us know how it goes :+1:

• David Lewis
    David Lewis
    Community Member

I just had the same failure after restarting the machine (MacOS 11.2.1). Quitting and restarting Safari (14.0.3) caused the problem to go away.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@David Lewis:

I have found an internal issue where our developers are investigating this, so it looks like it is a known issue. Hopefully they will be able to get to the bottom of this in a future update :+1:

ref: dev/core/core#3997

This discussion has been closed.