1Password always asking for Master Password instead of fingerprint

nukmicah
nukmicah
Community Member

If I go about my daily life doing autofill, then the autofill pop-up asks me for my master password, and I type it in, and it unlocks fine and select the login to autofill. But the vault doesn't stay unlocked; if I try another autofill ten seconds later, it asks for my master password again in the pop-up.

This was happening on my old Galaxy S10e, and is still happening on my new Galaxy S21.

I've found I can work around this by ignoring when the pop-up asks for my master password. When that happens, I cancel autofill and go directly to the 1Password app and put in my master password. After I've unlocked the vault directly with the 1Password app, then autofill asks for my fingerprint as expected until the regular vault timeout expires. At that point, autofill asks again for my master password, and I cancel autofill to open the app, and so on.

Not the end of the world, but I don't think this is intended behavior? It would certainly be frustrating for people who didn't realize the workaround, and is still annoying to do the workaround.

Comments

• Hey @nukmicah, thank you for reaching out to us on the Forum! Just like you said, this is certainly not intended behaviour for the Android app.

Can you try resetting your fingerprint settings:
    1. Open the 1Password app > Settings > Security > Turn off Biometric Unlock
    2. Open your device's Settings > Security > Fingerprint Unlock > Delete your saved fingerprints and turn off Fingerprint Unlock
    3. Restart your device > Turn on Fingerprint Unlock and save your fingerprints again
    4. Open the 1Password app > Settings > Security > Turn on Biometric Unlock

Can you also go to your 1Password app > Settings > Security > Turn off Lock on exit? With Lock on exit turned off, 1Password will not lock as long as it is still running in the background.

Let me know how that goes!

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member

@ag_audrey Thank you for responding. Note this has been happening 100% of the time since I joined 1Password a few months ago. And it kept happening even after going onto a brand-new phone.

And note the autofill popup DOES work properly and ask for biometrics as long I've entered the master password in the 1Password app within the 1Password app > Settings > Security > Require master password time limit (mine is typically set to 1 day, though with this bug I'm tempted to set it to every week or even every 30 days).

With that in mind, I don't see how resetting biometrics and turning off Lock on exit are supposed to help. The former already happened implicitly last week when I got my brand-new phone, and the latter is less secure and requires leaving 1Password open in the background which aren't desired behavior either.

• Hey @nukmicah, great question!

You should not be prompted for your Master Password so often when you have Biometric Unlock enabled. To help us further dig into this issue, would you mind sending a diagnostic report from your Android device: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?android.

Please attach the diagnostic to an email addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email, please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/118823/1password-always-asking-for-master-password-instead-of-fingerprint
    • Your forum username: nukmicah

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here, so I can track down the diagnostic and ensure that this issue is dealt with.

Once I see the diagnostic report, I'll be able to better assist you. Thank you in advance!

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member

Email sent with diagnostics, thank you.

• ag_audrey
    edited February 2021

Hey @nukmicah, thank you for sending the report. Let's continue our conversation over email! :)

ref: GCI-93793-384

This discussion has been closed.