Understanding the use of a Yubikey

gklimeck
gklimeck
Community Member

Hello,

I bought a YubiKey 5C NFC and I successfully added it to my 1Password Account.
I still have the Symantec VIP app for 2 Factor authentication on my iPhone.
I am not getting asked by 1Password to authenticate with the Yubikey. Could it due to the fact that I am using 1Password on my Mackbook Pro which has Biometrics and this is taking precedent?

All advise and opinions are appreciated.
Gary

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Big Sur
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Yubikey setup and use

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gklimeck!

1Password will ask you for your 2FA device only the first time you add a new device. Subsequent logins will only use biometrics or your Master Password. So if you have already used your Yubikey once, it is normal that you are not being prompted for it anymore.

If you try adding a new device to your 1Password account, you should see that you are asked for your Yubikey ;)

• RAbel1
    RAbel1
    Community Member

I was wondering about this too. Is there a way to get 1Password to require the Yubikey to unlock? Perhaps have a variable time on it, so you can require the Yubikey every time you want to unlock it, up to maybe every day?

• @RAbel1,

The only way you would be able to accomplish that would be if you're using Duo for your 2FA backend on a business account and you're able to set the expiry time something that low.

• RAbel1
    RAbel1
    Community Member

Perhaps add that as a feature request?

• @RAbel1

It is something we've decided against at this point, however we may be able to re-evaluate in the future. :+1: Thanks for sharing your interest.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.