To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Suggestion: Archive

Mattis
Mattis
Community Member

Hello people,

I have a suggestion for all platforms of 1Password:

It's about the following:

I don't want to have too many vaults because I think this creates confusion.

I would like to have an archive. I imagine it like the recycle bin.

When you delete objects this object is moved to the recycle bin. You can restore the objects from the recycle bin or delete the recycle bin.

The archive should be something similar with the difference that it can not be emptied.

It would work like this: Imagine you have objects that you won't need for a long time or may never need again. Instead of deleting them you can archive them. Either by right-clicking or by clicking and dragging them into the archive.

In the archive all objects will be displayed alphabetically and you can still view the data. However, the data in the archive should neither be displayed in "All vaults" or suggested in the browser extension when you visit the respective website.

If you need the data again regularly you can "Restore" the data so to speak and the object will be moved to the original vault.

I hope you like my idea. I am interested in your opinion about it.

Thanks for reading.

• Mattis

1Password Version: 1Password 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.2
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @Mattis!

Actually I'm using a specific vault called "Archive". Here I move all the entries I don't use anymore into it. And I chose not to display entries from these vault in my Windows desktop app, iOS app and the classic extension. It works good so far.

But let's see what others think about it. :)

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

Hi @DenalB!

Thank you for your reply and your opinion. I appreciate it very much.

Like you, I currently have it resolved the same way, but too many vaults confuse me. I would like to have less vaults and sort the items with tags.

So I would love such a feature officially from 1Password.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

So I would love such a feature officially from 1Password.

:+1:

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2021

@Mattis

I can pass on your feedback to the team. That said, I have used an archive vault approach for years now. Then I set the vault not to be shown within my apps as DenalB described.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#50

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

Hi @ag_tommy,

that would be great if you could pass this on.

I personally don't like the archive vault solution because it adds another vault and then makes it more confusing.

Also, 1Password.com does not let you exclude vaults from "All vaults".

Have a great day!

Mattis

• @Mattis

Sure, I would be happy to do that. I understand. I went through a boatload of permutations till I found something that worked for me. This is just what I settled on. Hopefully, we can find an elegant way to address this for our users. Who knows, I might even change, yet again! :chuffed:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hopefully, we can find an elegant way to address this for our users.

This would be awesome! Thanks, @ag_tommy! :+1:

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

Thank you! @ag_tommy

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_tommy, you are both very welcome :)

• srbuwsnyc
    srbuwsnyc
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

I actually came to the forum today in search of "Archive." I would love an Archive category (much more than an Archive vault). For me, it might be for expired, replaced and lost credit cards, where I'd like to keep the info, but keep it somewhat separate. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for also chiming in on this @srbuwsnyc, I have passed your feedback to the developers :+1:

• TonySoprano
    TonySoprano
    Community Member

Hi, I would also like to request an 'Archive' filter or category. It would be useful for storing expired documents, credit cards or similar.
    I note the idea of an archive vault, which is a possible workaround but a little tedious to set up. A built in option would be great
    Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @TonySoprano, noted!

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

It's finally here :+1: :)

Thank you.

• Tada 🎉 😁 Thanks for bringing that fact to the attention of this thread, @Mattis.

Ben

• srbuwsnyc
    srbuwsnyc
    Community Member

Excellent. Thanks, 1Password. Super-helpful.

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

You're welcome. I love your software. You guys are great! @Ben :chuffed:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

A lot of new features actually. Great and keep it up! :+1: ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you all for the kind words :)

• TonySoprano
    TonySoprano
    Community Member

Just came here to say I've just seen the latest update, which has brought the Archive feature. Thank you team!
    TS

• <3

Ben

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

Now that I have tested the archive function intensively, I have a change that would improve the function even more.

I would like to share this with you guys.

I would find it excellent if there would be the recycle bin in addition to the archive.

The reason for this is very simple: When Agile Bits introduced the Archive, all objects that were previously in the Recycle Bin were in the Archive.

Of course, there were also objects that should have been in the trash and not archived.

So, it would be great to separate the Trash and the Archive, so that all objects that were previously in the Trash (when the Archive didn't exist yet) are now in the Trash and not in the Archive.

It would also be good if by clicking on an object in the archive you could see the date and time - when this object was archived.

I hope I could express myself understandably. :+1:

Thanks for reading. :chuffed:

Mattis

• srbuwsnyc
    srbuwsnyc
    Community Member

I would agree. There are old listings I want to keep, but keep out of my daily flow (like an old credit card). There are others I'm happy to expunge entirely (like a service that's totally out of business, or an old WiFi from a former job).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for the feedback!

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

You're most welcome. :) @ag_ana

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)