Importing records from a csv [DataVault]

flame1
flame1
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello!

I'm on day 2 of the free trial to see if 1Password will work for me. I'm pretty confused at the moment because I see the option to manually add records for a bank account, driver's license, software license, etc. but I can't figure out how to import into those categories. The only categories I see on the import screen are Logins (which worked great!), Credit Cards, and Secure Notes.

I tried importing a few records as Secure Notes, thinking I might be able to recategorize them after they had been imported, but I don't see a way to do that. I read the page on how to import data, but it didn't explain anything about the other categories.

Is this even possible? I have over a thousand records of various types, including some that aren't on the list. I can't imagine manually entering them to put them in the appropriate categories. Can you create new categories? I also track hardware (serial #, purchase date, etc) and insurance (policy numbers, group numbers, etc.)

I'm using a Windows 10 laptop and I'm trying to import a csv file from DataVault.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.6.791
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10.0.19041
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• flame1
    flame1
    Community Member

Oops! My apologies! I just discovered the Announcement about importing files. (Talk about overlooking the obvious!) I will check out MrC's converter. Btw, I'm on version 6.2.7 of Datavault.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@flame1

I initially tested with version 5.1.32 on Windows, but believe I've tested with more recent versions since the converter was first created. Please let me know if you have any issues.

• Thanks as always for your help, @MrC! :smile:

@flame1 Let us know how things go - we'll be happy to help you get 1Password set up and running smoothly. :chuffed: :+1:

• flame1
    flame1
    Community Member

Thanks you both!

I'm not very technical, so I don't really understand all the instructions, but I'll do my best and see what happens. I assume the converter can be run more than once? I'd like to import some of the records to a different vault.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2021

@flame1 ,

The README will walk you through the steps. I’m here to help if you need it.

You can run the converter as many times as you want. Just import the resulting 1pif file into 1Password each time, or name it, since the converter, by default, will overwrite that file each run.

• flame1
    flame1
    Community Member

Hi MrC and Dayton_ag!

The first time I imported data into 1Password (using the default process) I found that I had to assign labels to all the columns. Knowing the labels are different depending on the category, I decided to just import the logins initially so I would have something to play around with until I could get familiar with the program.

I ran MrC's conversion for DataVault using ALL my records and put them in an "Imported" vault so I could keep them separate from the previous records. That means the logins are in 1Password twice, but in 2 different vaults. In looking just at the logins, it appears the records that came through the MrC conversion have the website addresses down in the notes section beside a label of "URL" (which came from DataVault) rather than showing in the website field, so I can't click on any of the records and be taken to the website to log in.

I don't know how the program works, but if it looks for a label of "website" rather than "URL", I can change the login template in DataVault so the label that is displayed in the export file is "website." I also discovered I need to do some cleanup of my DataVault data before ever creating the export file, so I need to work on that next.

Regarding 1Password functionality, are the other categories that are accessible from the plus sign like software license, driver's license, and email accounts not available through import? If not, is there a way to manually change a record from one category to another, such as changing a Secure Note to a Software License? If not, is there a way to copy all the data in a Secure Note, click on the plus sign to start a Software License record, and paste the data into the new category, or is the only way to use the extra categories to just manually build them from scratch? I did see a way to duplicate a record, but it added it to the same category.

Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @flame1

The datavault converter looks for stock labels in the export. You can see here the label patterns it is matching:

And here is a section of a default export for login entries:

So, if you've changed those labels, you can adjust the table in the converter to match yours. I last tested with DataVault 6.1.3, so its possible they've changed labels since then, or you may have.

You don't want to manually edit your DataVault export file - it has particular encodings inside its Notes area, and these need to be properly decoded. Your editing may change the export file's encodings.

We can continue discussion here regarding modifying the converter, or you can send me an email to continue offline - your choice. My email is at the top of the convert.pl script.

• flame1
    flame1
    Community Member

Thanks, MrC! I've had DataVault for 6 years, and I know I added and changed templates over the years, but couldn't say which ones. I'm tied up until this evening, but I will email you tonight to be sure I understand what I need to do.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Ok, sounds good @flame1

Re: you question about the other categories - the converter will handle these.

• Thanks a bunch for your help here @MrC!

Feel free to reach back out to us at any point in the future with any other questions you might have, we're here for you @flame1! 💙

• flame1
    flame1
    Community Member

Thanks, Blake! I’m working through the conversion with MrC now, and it’s looking great so far. I’m still reviewing the results. I appreciate all the support from the 1Password community!

• @flame1 No problem, we're always happy to help! :smile: :+1:

• flame1
    flame1
    Community Member

I finally have all my records successfully imported into 1Password. I did have some problems, but apparently, I caused them myself when I edited the DataVault export file, not realizing it would mess up the import into 1Password. Many thanks to MrC for his detailed explanations and patience with a non-techie, and thanks to everyone else who offered support and encouragement. It's a pleasure to find an active, helpful community!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

You are very welcome, @flame1 . It was a pleasure conversing with you.

Enjoy 1Password!

• Thanks again, @MrC! 😍

This discussion has been closed.