Save from browser crashes 1Password and loses item consistently if vault is changed on save pop-up

dszp
dszp
Community Member

Steps to produce

1. (optional I think but I usually do this first) Generate a new password with 1Password extension and use to create account at any website
  2. Enter an unknown/unsaved password on a website in Safari and log in
  3. In the 1Password save prompt that pops up, choose a vault other than the default as a save location
  4. Click Save

Expected behavior

New item should be stored in secondary, chosen-but-non-default vault with URL/login/password/name I've customized from the save dialog that pops up.

Actual behavior

1Password application entirely crashes after a few seconds and brings up crash report/restart screen, and no new item has been saved when it restarts. Any generated password IS saved to the default vault still, so it's not entirely lost (because that happened prior to the crash) but the new item in a non-default vault with name/username/password is entirely gone, never saved anywhere that I can find, I have to go re-create it from the generated Password item or a temporary scratchpad in TextEdit, depending on where the password came from.

I can either log back in to the site and save to the default location and then edit it to move it, or I can manually create a new entry from the 1Password app, both of which work fine and I usually just end up doing this to get around this issue now.

Additional information

1Password 7
Version 7.7.1.BETA-7 (70701007)
1Password Beta
macOS 11.2 (but issue has persisted for months even on prior computer)

I have a Family account, a Business account, and a shared vault from another business/team account in 1Password. The first two have several vaults loaded. My Personal vault in my Business account is my saving default, and if I just click Save to save a new item in the default vault it works; only changing the vault (usually to my Family Personal vault) before saving causes the above crash.

This has been happening for probably 3-6 months, I always run beta on macOS, latest version, and it may even predate Big Sur, but it definitely happened on 11.0/11.1/11.2. I haven't bothered to report because of time constraints and the fact that I don't save new items all that often so it wasn't a huge issue, but it is a data loss event if I don't know it's going to happen (new item unexpectedly not saved after I click save) and takes extra steps to work around. It happens every time I change the vault during new browser-prompted-save, from Safari at least and from the Business Personal vault to the Family Personal vault--it may happen on other vaults as well but I can consistently reproduce that exactly. I don't know if saving to another vault in the SAME cloud account will crash, as I don't do this often.

Note that I just moved from a MBP 16" laptop last week to an M1 MBP 13" system, using Migration Assistant. The problem moved computer-to-computer, it wasn't just one or the other.

1Password Version: 7.7.1.BETA-7 (70701007)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2
Sync Type: 1Password Fam&Business

Comments

• @dszp Thanks for all the details on exactly what is happening and for all of the testing you have done.

I see that you also emailed us. I have replied to your email, we can continue the conversation over there.

ref: RBP-24543-825

• kengetz
    kengetz
    Community Member

I was just about to post this exact same behavior. Thanks for making the detailed log. Joshua, if you find out anything, please do let me know! It's pretty bothersome, as it requires a few extra minutes to go find the unsaved item, convert to a login, and edit the item. Thanks!

• @kengetz

Will do! You can also keep an eye on our release notes to see any improvements. If that interests you, you can see them on our update server.

1Password release notes on our update server.

• kengetz
    kengetz
    Community Member

Thanks. Will keep my eye on it. I'm assuming we're not the only two people having this trouble...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

• mtancock
    mtancock
    Community Member

Yep, I'm having this too. I've resorted to adding to my default vault then moving them to avoid the crash :/

• rudy
    edited February 2021

I'm going to preemptively say that 7.7.1.BETA-8 or 7.7.1.BETA-9 does not fix this issue. Its on the agenda for 7.7.1, but there were a couple things we needed to get into beta this week.

• michaelnorval
    michaelnorval
    Community Member

Just updated to Beta9. When updating passwords on safari websites and 'Save Changes to 1Password' causes 1P to crash. 1P was open at the time. This repeated itself on a number of websites and 1P crashed every time.
    On reopening 1P the new password info had not been transferred or updated.
    Help!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-9 (70701009)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS BigSur 11.2.1
    Sync Type: iCloud

• @michaelnorval

see my answer above.

This discussion has been closed.