Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

Comments

• Penguinlay
    Penguinlay
    Community Member

Hi, while you all are reworking the integrations, here are a few points I would like to suggest for some times in the future.
    1. Ability to change vault from browser,
    2. Ability to change vault during editing mode in general, like on MacOS desktop app,
    3. Ability to customize and sync default vault,
    4. Ability to see bank card entry alongside passwords in general (sometimes, apps and sites don't follow the platform convention; especially with apps, I need to either use the 1Password keyboard if it is a wifi log in or 1Password app for bank card or subscription information)
    5. Ability to see the suggestion like on the web for desktop app based on the last active windows/apps before launching 1Password widgets (I see that feature here and there but not that consistent yet, it would be superb if it can remember like on mobile!)
    6. Improve UX for windows taskbar widget to be like that of Mac (right now, it's many steps having to right click and copy through menu after menu, or maybe I am using it wrong?)
    7. Ability to fill the new entry form through a popup in browser while saving a new entry for a new site!
    8. Ability to customize password types like on Mac Desktop App on browser popup
    9. Finally, keep up the great work! ๐Ÿ’™ :)

• burjoes
    burjoes
    Community Member

Thanks. Iโ€™ll change it back after the TouchID hysteria is over.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Penguinlay ,
    Thank you kindly for the feedback and the suggestions! This specific discussion only focuses on 1Password X's integration with the desktop app though. I will reply regardless but please lets try to keep this discussion on point, so if you have any other questions or suggestions that are not related to 1Password X and its integration, please open a new discussion in the appropriate sub-forum.

1. Ability to change vault from browser,
    2. Ability to change vault during editing mode in general, like on MacOS desktop app,
    3. Ability to customize and sync default vault,
    4. Ability to see bank card entry alongside passwords in general (sometimes, apps and sites don't follow the platform convention; especially with apps, I need to either use the 1Password keyboard if it is a wifi log in or 1Password app for bank card or subscription information)
    5. Ability to see the suggestion like on the web for desktop app based on the last active windows/apps before launching 1Password widgets (I see that feature here and there but not that consistent yet, it would be superb if it can remember like on mobile!)
    6. Improve UX for windows taskbar widget to be like that of Mac (right now, it's many steps having to right click and copy through menu after menu, or maybe I am using it wrong?)
    7. Ability to fill the new entry form through a popup in browser while saving a new entry for a new site!
    8. Ability to customize password types like on Mac Desktop App on browser popup
    9. Finally, keep up the great work! ๐Ÿ’™ :)
    1. You can change vaults in 1Password X (and in the old companion extension in Windows) while in the browser.
    2. That's a great suggestion.
    3. Not sure I understand what you mean here. Customize how? And sync how? It already syncs automatically with your 1Password.com account so there's no control over the how's of syncing.
    4. If you're talking about a mobile phone, the experience is quite different there and often out of our hands, as we use the phone's operating system's built-in autofill mechanism, that doesn't alway show up where you need it (e.g. wifi passwords, credit card forms).
    5. 1Password can only suggest passwords in the browser because our extension knows to read the website's address and identify it, which makes it possible to match login items to the website. On the phone, each app has a unique identifier/URL which allows us to match logins to apps. On computers, apps don't have any of that so there is no way to identify them and connect them to a login item. Furthermore, it is not possible to autofill in other apps on a computer because 1Password doesn't have access to other apps. Autofill only works in browsers because our extension is there to help the app autofill.
    6. We're definitely working on the UX :)
    7. That's possible in 1Password X.
    8. That's possible in every one of our apps. You need to get to the password generator and customize the recipe and password type as you see fit.
    9. Thank you :)
  • ejrichter
    ejrichter
    Community Member

Hello...any update on when the desktop app integration will be activated again? LastPass has had this built in for a long time...and the lack of it in 1Password creates a very frustrating workflow, needing to enter my long master password every time I open a browser.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@ejrichter โ€“ The last update from Dave is here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/579493/#Comment_579493

I know it's a bit hidden in the thread at this point, so I wanted to make sure you got a chance to read it. If you have any questions after giving that update a read, please do let us know!

• Gillr
    Gillr
    Community Member

I've been following this thread closely, like a lot of people :) I just wanted to share my experience and temporary solution... over Christmas, I've switched from Chome to Safari as my default browser.

Big decision. 2 reasons:

1. Supports 1P touch ID out of the box
    2. Is LIGHTENING fast on Big Sur - I got sick of a laggy Macbook

I'm optimistic I will be switching back to Chrome, but Safari has been an "ok" solution for me.
    Small things annoy me, but it meets these 2 needs, which far out way the cons.
    Just sharing that it might help someone else out.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing @Gillr .
    We're glad to hear the inline menu in Safari helps you enjoy both worlds (the inline menu of 1Password X and Touch ID unlock)! :chuffed:

• lfanchi
    lfanchi
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

@Gillr If I can be so free to give you a suggestion: don't switch back to Chrome! Rather, move to Edge. Same Chromium base, less Google privacy concerns (and same extensions too!). In my experience, it's also faster and less taxing on my machine.

• Gillr
    Gillr
    Community Member

Hey @lfanchi I don't think Edge solves the problem of unlocking with Touch ID... Safari does. I will give it a go though, didn't know it was available for Mac.

• lfanchi
    lfanchi
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Indeed it doesn't, but you mentioned "I will be switching back to Chrome", hence my recommendation to not do that and move "back" to Edge instead ;)

• bradpinkston
    bradpinkston
    Community Member

I agree with getting off Chrome. Not only privacy issues with Chrome, but also with performance. Instead of Edge though, I switched to Brave. Same Chromium base, but better privacy and performance.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Not only privacy issues with Chrome, but also with performance. Instead of Edge though, I switched to Brave.

That's why I switched to Vivaldi some month (years?) ago. I like it much more than Brave.
    But I think that should be another discussion. ;)

• But I think that should be another discussion. ;)

:+1:

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

Just a little nudge in here to see if there's any updates on an ETA for at least some sort of MVP?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2021

Hey @rctneil .

Our dev team is hectically working on it (and on some other new features) and we hope they'll be able to release it soon! As always - we do not give out deadlines or ETAs, but I promise you we will update you all here when there's news :)

• jimlongo
    jimlongo
    Community Member

The way this works in Safari is perfect. Touch or watch authentication and inline access to 1Password.

Luckily Safari is my default browser, but with all the other chromium based browsers that i use it sucks to have to type in the password. Brave, Edge, Chrome, Firefox.

Waiting for the update!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

We are all excited to see this feature come back @jimlongo :)

• frog
    frog
    Community Member

I've just been forced to switch over to Windows at work and have been pretty frustrated with the way 1Passwork doesn't quite work the same as it did with macOS & Safari. App/Browser integration is definitely a big part of that, and not entering my password all the time!

Eagerly awaiting this feature on Windows!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @frog! I definitely understand, and we all hope to see this feature back as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience while we get there :)

• swrobel
    swrobel
    Community Member

Just another impatient user chiming in to say I'm sick of waiting. This was handled poorly.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the input @swrobel .
    We're all really anxious to get this feature back, and hopefully we'll have some good news soon.

Thank you for being so patient while our developers work on this, we really appreciate it!

• carstenlange
    carstenlange
    Community Member

Dear 1Password team,

I know software development takes some time and users asking over and over for an ETA are annoying. But PLEASE, don't comment always with "soon" because this rises expectations. For some people soon is next week or month, for you guys it's several months (or maybe a year?). Or as Dave wrote in November "We're getting closer every week and I do believe we'll have a present ready for everyone in the not too distant future." Even if you look at the very first post in this thread (August last year): "Returning soon". Thank you.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2021

@carstenlange

I'm sorry but I don't have a more specific ETA to share. I understand that's frustrating, but as you say, even giving hints such as "soon" can cause further frustration. As such I'm not going to speculate further. We're anxious for what's next as well, and have grown our team significantly to meet the challenges in front of us. We continue to make progress, and will report more as more information becomes available.

Ben

• carstenlange
    carstenlange
    Community Member

@Ben, that sounds good.

• Thanks for your feedback and for pushing us on this, @carstenlange. :smile:

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member

I happy to wait for the announcement that you've got the browser extension design worked out... especially since we can go back to the older version 4.7.5.90 which seems to work fine in Firefox.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

We are all looking forward to the announcement @AMCarter3 :)

• Xombie
    Xombie
    Community Member

Anxiously awaiting the return of this feature that is core to my workflow!!! Forcing your users to switch to Safari isn't the solution here.

• We are all eagerly awaiting the return of desktop app integration, @Xombie. :smile: I appreciate your patience on this while we get things just right.

• stfs
    stfs
    Community Member

Can't find the "follow this thread" button. So I'm adding a useless comment here.

I was sad to see the touch ID integration removed and hope that it will be made available again ASAP.

This discussion has been closed.