To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Transfer licensed 1Password to a new Mac

bacek
bacek
Community Member
edited January 2021 in Memberships

Hello, I am a long-time user of 1Password, I bought a stand alone license in November 2015 on my MacBook Air.

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro in 2021 and I would like to transfer my 1Password license from my old MacBook to my new one.

I first downloaded the app through App Store and found out that that version only supports monthly subscriptions. I deleted that version from my Mac.

Now I have downloaded the 1Password 7.7 from your website and installed it. All of my data instantly popped in from my iCloud, which is great, but I cannot use any of the features (add new passwords, use autofill in browsers etc.).

How can I transfer the already purchased license from my old MacBook to my new one?

Another info, on my old MacBook Air, the version of 1Password app is 6.8.8:

Thank you for your help in advance.

1Password Version: MacBookAir: 6.8.8 (688001); MacBook Pro: 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacBook Air: macOS Catalina 10.15.3; MacBook Pro: macOS Big Sur 11.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member

I think you have to buy a new license for 1P7. As I understand it, 1P7 is a not a free upgrade from earlier versions ; you have to purchase it (standalone or membership).

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @bacek!

How can I transfer the already purchased license from my old MacBook to my new one?
    Another info, on my old MacBook Air, the version of 1Password app is 6.8.8

Just download the latest version 6.8.9 from here and your license should work with this version on your new MacBook.
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com (https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-6.8.9.pkg)

As @sammy_j wrote you have to buy a new license for using 1Password 7 in standalone-mode. But there is also the possibility to switch to a membership. So you would be able to use any version of 1Password on all your devices. ;)

• bacek
    bacek
    Community Member

Thank you both @sammy_j and @DenalB for your answers.

If that is so, I'll try an older version of 1Password, I think it should suffice my current needs.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

You're very welcome @bacek! Glad that I could help. ;)

If you need further assistance just come back here. :+1:

• @bacek

To use 1Password 6.8.9 you would need to download 1Password from your purchase history if you previously used the Mac App Store version. 1Password 7 is indeed a membership or a license. I would recommend looking into one of our membership options. They are the best path forward with 1Password. Alternatively, licenses for 1Password 7 are available to purchase directly from within the app.

• bacek
    bacek
    Community Member

Thank you all for your answers. At the end I decided to but a new stand-alone licence for 1Password 7 and I must admit, I am very satisfied. It works flawlessly and the new user interface is a fresh redesign of an already awesome app. Keep up the good work guys.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @bacek, and for the kind words! I am glad to hear that you are enjoying 1Password 7 :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.