Feature Request: Password length field for logins

PBAdams
PBAdams
Community Member
edited February 2021 in Lounge

Many web sites have a maximum password length. And many web sites don't validate password length.

I've had several occasions where I've had 1Password generate a 60 or 100 character password for a site during a password change, which is accepted, but actually truncated by the website to their maximum password length.

This leads to frustrating password reset loops, and I've also been locked out of accounts.

Feature request:
In Login items, an optional field for setting the maximum password length allowed for the site. If I add the maximum password length value to my login, the password generator would automatically generate a password of that length.

I can leave the default password length for password generation to any value I like (for instance 100 random chars), but it would only give me 16 chars if I've set that max password length for a Login.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: macOS 11.2
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:password length field for logins

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PBAdams!

Thank you for the feedback! We are actually trying something even better though: using a database of website password rules, so you don't even have to add the maximum length manually ;)

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member

Wow @ag_ana, that's excellent news! Very much looking forward to it.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an open standard for websites to publish their password policy in a file at /.well-known/password-policy.json or something similar? ;)

This discussion has been closed.