I want to move my 1password account to a different computer.

Options
bbl
bbl
Community Member

In December, I bought the one-person 1password account for my Mac computer and set up my 1password account and loved it. I am giving that computer to my daughter. I would like to have moved the 1password account to my newer computer but didn't know how, so I got a family plan. I now have access to 1password on both computers. But my old computer is still the master 1password account. I would actually like to get it off of my old computer completely, and just have a single person account on my newer computer. How can I do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I want to move my 1password account to a different computer

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bbl!

You can remove 1Password from your previous computer by following these instructions:

How to uninstall 1Password

• bbl
    bbl
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I glanced at that. I will study it further but at first glance, I am guessing my question hasn't been addressed completely. If I uninstall 1password from my old computer, (it is the master 1password account for the family account), what will be left on my new computer? Will it then become the master 1password account in entirety? I fear if I uninstall the master 1password account from my old computer, that I will lose all of the family accounts.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bbl:

If I uninstall 1password from my old computer, (it is the master 1password account for the family account), what will be left on my new computer?

I am not sure I understand the question: if you uninstall 1Password from your old computer, it will be removed from there, but it will remain on your new computer unless you uninstall it from there too.

Removing the 1Password app from one device does not delete the 1Password data in your account. I think this might be the concern, correct?

• bbl
    bbl
    Community Member
    Options

I have a 1 password master password on my old computer, where I originally set it up. I will call that the PARENT plan. I have a different master password on my new computer, under the family plan, which I will call the CHILD account. I fear if I delete the PARENT account from my old computer, before I give the computer away, that the family account will be deleted too. As an example, I can go anywhere and do anything on my "PARENT" account, but on my family CHILD account in the family plan, I can only go where I am allowed by the parent. Yes? No? If I get rid of the parent account, will I lose everything? Instead of deleting the PARENT account, should I instead be finding a way to bring that account to my new computer? And then delete the CHILD account.

• bbl
    bbl
    Community Member
    Options

I have a 1 password master password on my old computer, where I originally set it up. I will call that the PARENT plan. I have a different master password on my new computer, under the family plan, which I will call the CHILD account. I fear if I delete the PARENT account from my old computer, before I give the computer away, that the family account will be deleted too. As an example, I can go anywhere and do anything on my "PARENT" account, but on my family CHILD account in the family plan, I can only go where I am allowed by the parent. Yes? No? If I get rid of the parent account, will I lose everything? Instead of deleting the PARENT account, should I instead be finding a way to bring that account to my new computer? And then delete the CHILD account.

• bbl
    bbl
    Community Member
    Options

ps
    hmmm..what if I totally logged out of my family child account on the new computer and then logged in again but this time using the PARENT account password. Would that bring the parent account to my new computer, and then I can delete the child account?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bbl:

hmmm..what if I totally logged out of my family child account on the new computer and then logged in again but this time using the PARENT account password. Would that bring the parent account to my new computer, and then I can delete the child account?

Yes, if you login to your old account on the new computer, that's the information you will see there. Can you please clarify why you created this "child" account however? Does this new account contain any information, or is everything stored inside your "parent" account?

Because it sounds like you either don't need this second account, or you created it by mistake, so we need to understand if this is even something you need, or if it's only adding confusion to your configuration.

• bbl
    bbl
    Community Member
    Options

Everything is stored in my PARENT account and the exact same in my CHILD account. But the PARENT account has ultimate authority, and resides in my old computer. I want to move the PARENT account to my new computer and then get rid of the FAMILY account and just have a single 1password membership, only on my new computer. So can I do that?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bbl:

We will be happy to help you with this, and check your account situation to understand exactly how many accounts you have. To avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.