Merging newer passwords with restored 1p4_zip

MaxClayton
MaxClayton
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm trying to help my Mom restore her 1password vault from a compromised SSD. Situation: the original root volume SSD was compromised by malware. We removed that SSD and installed a fresh one. A clean version of 1Password was installed and a few new passwords have been saved. After waiting on a suitable enclosure for the old SSD, we now have it mounted as an external drive. From the old SSD we have the most recent 1p4_zip backup file. Goal: merge the 100+ old SSD passwords from the 1p4_zip with the newest passwords stored in 1PW on the fresh SSD.

From a previous post, I found these steps to restore a 1p4_zip file.
1. Click on the advanced Tab in the preferences window
2. Click on "allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts
3. Click on the newly revealed Backup Tab in the preferences window
4. Click on find backup
5. Choose that 1p4_zip file so that it brings it into the backup tab
6. Select that entry in the list on the backup tab
7. Click Restore

If we do these steps (only), however, I expect we'll have a vault with only the older 100+ (pre-malware) passwords.

So my planned approach...see if this makes sense and will ensure we don't lose any passwords:
1. EXPORT the 15 or so latest (post-malware SSD) passwords saved in 1PW as a .PIF file.
2. Perform a RESTORE using the 1p4_zip file for the 100+ old passwords using the above steps.
3. IMPORT the .PIF file to MERGE in the most recent 15 or so.

Will the 1p4_zip passwords - once restored - be "newer" than the .PIF ones? If so, when I do an import/merge of the .PIF file will they be rejected in favor of the "newer" restored passwords (that are actually older and incorrect)? How do I prevent this?

Is there're an easier way to merge the current 15+ with the older 100+ 1p4_zip ones?
Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MaxClayton! Welcome to the forum!

If sync was enabled for 1Password data, there will be an even easier way to do this: was this data synced to either iCloud, Dropbox or 1Password.com before you replaced the hard drive?

• MaxClayton
    MaxClayton
    Community Member

No iCloud or other syncing to date. (I'll definitely set that up for her once we get things restored)

• MaxClayton
    MaxClayton
    Community Member

Can you advise on my approach?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MaxClayton:

Thank you for the confirmation. 1Password looks at the item's creation date when you import data, so there should be no confusion when you import multiple sets of items. In your original post you wrote:

A clean version of 1Password was installed and a few new passwords have been saved.

So these are completely new passwords, which do not appear in the original vault from the old hard drive, correct?

Is there're an easier way to merge the current 15+ with the older 100+ 1p4_zip ones?

I would personally import the 15 items into a separate temporary vault, and manually check whether they are duplicates or not. After all, two different sets of 1Password data have been created, so since there aren't many items, and not knowing exactly what information you have added and how you configured it, I would manually check and merge them.

This discussion has been closed.