Error: Incorrect authentication code. Make sure your device has the correct date and time.

rbrak29
rbrak29
Community Member

Keep getting authentication errors when logging into my.1password.com on my MacBook Air (M1). Using MS Authenticator on my iPhone XS. Date and time are set automatically (time.apple.com) on my Mac. https://time.is indicates time is 0.2 seconds behind.

1Password Version: Version 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Incorrect authentication code. Make sure your device has the correct date and time.

Comments

• Hi @rbrak29

To clarify: is this happening in a web browser on the Mac, or the 1Password for Mac app? Also, what does https://time.is say for the iPhone? Please let us know. Thanks!

Ben

• rbrak29
    rbrak29
    Community Member

Using Safari on the Mac. iPhone time is exact. Tested Mac again: 1.4 seconds behind.

• @rbrak29

Have you tried restarting the phone? I have seen a few users report success here in the forum that comes to mind. To clarify, that was a range of sites and not something specific to 1Password. It seemed to be more of an OS issue. Please let us know how it goes.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2021

@rbrak29

Oh, one other thought if it was iOS and attempting to login there. Putting this here in case anyone runs across the subject.

We've had reports that, in some cases, an issue arises during the authentication process (e.g. bad connection, accidentally dismissing the prompt, the OS killing 1Password (after switching away from it) where it can get it into a "loop" like what you seem to be describing.

Are you able to login if you open your code generator first and memorize or copy the code before attempting authenticating in 1Password? Please be sure not to switch away from 1Password at the authentication prompt. If you can authenticate this way, that's great. The developers are looking into why this is occurring.

• rbrak29
    rbrak29
    Community Member

Restarted iPhone, same problem on Mac. Used MS Authenticator on my iPad and used code generated on Mac...works fine. All devices on same WiFi networks, VPN off.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2021

@rbrak29

It may be that time. Time to ask you to send us a support request and allow us to take a deeper at the logs. Would you be willing to do that?

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key.

Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. rbrak29
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/119036/error-incorrect-authentication-code-make-sure-your-device-has-the-correct-date-and-time#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

Once we receive the report, we will be in a better position to assist you. You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.

• rbrak29
    rbrak29
    Community Member

Sent zipped diagnostic report to support last night. Did not get a Ticket ID back yet.

• @rbrake29

Found it. Your ID is CPY-99831-663

ref: CPY-99831-663

• rbrak29
    rbrak29
    Community Member

Just got the Ticket ID now. Thanks

• You're welcome. Also, check your inbox. :wink: You have homework. lol

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member

Hi!

I have a similar problem since recently. Never had problems before, but now I can't connect to my 1Password account, I get this error message "Incorrect authentication code. Make sure your device has the correct date and time.".
    I have a Mac Mini M1 and an iPhone 12.
    It worked before on my Mac Mini, it's how I registered some browser extensions.

Hope this will be solved soon!

If I can help, I will :-)

Best regards,
    Charlie

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@CharlieCortial:

Can you confirm that the time is correct on this device? A good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website: https://time.is/

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member

Hey @ag_ana !

Yes I followed this topic and tried on both my computer and phone. I'm fluctuating between exact time, and 0,5 second late.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@CharlieCortial:

Are you generating these codes on the same device you are trying to login from, or from a different one (such as a separate mobile device with an authenticator app)?

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member

Hey @ag_ana :
    I have tried both, and both are failing for now. Before that, both were also working perfectly.
    I'm using 1Password own code generating feature, and also a third party app (Tofu), both on the iPhone and Mac Mini (because it can run iOS apps). Before that, I was also using Authy, both on my previous iPhone (first generation SE), and my Intel MacBook Pro. Authy was just a backup (like Tofu now), and I was generally using 1Password itself, without any problem.

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member

I have a (big) problem right now. I'm supposed to pay my 1Password yearly bill, and I can't access my account because of this authentication problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@CharlieCortial:

To avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there? Our security team can then help you with some verification questions if you are not able to access your 1Password account due to the authenticator codes being rejected.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member

Hey @ag_ana

I have sent the email as you advised.
    Here is my ticket number [#HYL-38722-712]

Thank you very much for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@CharlieCortial:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: HYL-38722-712

• dfuentes
    dfuentes
    Community Member

@ag_ana What was the resolution to this issue? I've scheduled to enforce 2FA across our organization's users and I just had one user who tried to set it up beforehand and they were unable to do so due to this same error message.

I want to be prepared and/or postpone the 2FA enforcement in case that multiple users run into this issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dfuentes:

If your user is getting an error message already during the first activation, the reason is most likely the time difference. In the previous user's case, 2FA was already enabled when this started happening.

In your case, I would recommend asking the user to check the https://time.is website and to let you know what it says :+1:

This discussion has been closed.