Convert to Login Question

Options
FogCityNative
FogCityNative
Community Member
edited December 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

When I use 1Password in the system menubar to create a log-in, is there a way to force 1Password to create a full log-in and not just save the password?

Yes, my log-in is my e-mail, and I do have it memorized, and I do have a macro to type it for me, but one click in 1Password beats multiple keystrokes.

I am finding I must EDIT the 1Password entry, cancel the edit, then click edit again, before I will finally be presented with the CONVERT TO LOG-IN button.

If I am generating a password for a site for which I have no previous entry, I am obviously creating a new log-in and not a new bank account or software unlock code. GENERATE PASSWORD, COPY AND SAVE is generally always a first step in creating a new log-in. 1Password doesn't see it that way, saving only the password.

How can I set my preferences to always create a log-in with both the username and the password.

1Password Version: 7.7.1. BETA 4
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password Vault
Referrer: forum-search:Convert to Login Question

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @FogCityNative! 👋

It sounds like 1Password isn't recognizing that you're creating a new account. You should be asked to save the Login when you click the "register" button, but I believe that's where things are going wrong. Would you mind sharing one of the website URLs where you've run into this? I'd love to test it out on my end and see if I get the same behavior. If so, I'll report it to our developers so we can work on a fix.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

December 22, 2020

http://www.cambridge.org

Please let me know if you are able to duplicate it. It is a free site.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @FogCityNative ,
    Thanks for the additional info and screenshots. I deleted the message with the screenshots as this is a public forum and you had some personal info in it.

I think you're missing the correct workflow of saving a new login. The correct workflow is to fill out the login form of a website, and then let 1Password save that form as a new login, instead of manually creating that new login yourself. Here's how I did it on the website you provided: http://recordit.co/4Gb5ujMjUx

To summarise my steps:
    1. I got to the login page.
    2. I manually input my email in the username field.
    3. I opened the 1Password extension on the top right corner of Chrome's toolbar (not in the Mac's menu bar) and selected the "+Generate Password" button to create a new password, then copied it and pasted it into the password field on the website. That did create a temporary "Password" item in my 1Password (an item with a key icon on it).
    4. I sent the form on the website to log in and 1Password popped up, asking me if I'd like to save it as a new login. I confirmed and saved it. At this point, 1Password created a new "Login" item from that "Password" item it created earlier, and deleted the "Password" item so now I am only left with a proper login item that contains the username, password and the website URL.

Please give that workflow a try and see how it goes. You can test it here if you'd like: https://fill.dev/form/login-simple
    Just input a made up username and generate a new password, then save it as a new login as I did in my video.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

I do not use Chrome. I have it for testing purposes, but I hardly ever use it. Google gets way too much personal information from my browsing and sells the data. I am not using 1Password X. I am using the old 1Password in the menu bar.

What you said is exactly what I do in Firefox. I have a Typinator Macro to type my e-mail address using only 3 keystrokes. So if I type these three letters that never make a word, it will replace when I am typing with the full e-mail.

Then I go to the GENERATE A PASSWORD button in the MENU bar, and it will SAVE AND COPY the generated password. I then either past it ino the PW field or knobs3121.Jolted pastes it in.

Click Submit. (There may be an "I Am Not a Robot" check that needs to be handled first.)

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

I read your workflow again and noticed that your workflow requires I use 1Password in the browser menu bar and not in the system menu bar. OK, but I don't use 1Password in the browser menu bar because it constantly demands the MASTER PASSWORD and won't use the Touch ID in my Mac. So the workflow you describe is inconvenient and takes longer.

Can 1Password be programmed to do the proper saving of a new password from both the Browser App Menubar and the system menubar?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @FogCityNative ,

The 1Password extension in your browser will soon support Touch ID and make things a lot more comfortable, but it is required to be unlocked before you can use it to save new logins. It will also suggest new passwords right there inside a "new password" field on the page which will make your workflow a lot easier and won't require you to copy paste or generate a password manually, so I recommend you try and use 1Password in your browser more often.

Alternatively, you can remove the current extension you have in Firefox, and install the 1Password classic extension. The classic extension connects to the 1Password 7 desktop app and will allow you to unlock it with Touch ID and perform tasks from both the extension in the browser and from your menu bar. However, it is a bit outdated and doesn't have great features like showing up inside fields and suggesting relevant actions.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

"The 1Password extension in your browser will soon support Touch ID and make things a lot more comfortable, but it is required to be unlocked before you can use it to save new logins."

Very good news and I like having to use TouchID to confirm before adding anything new to the database.

TouchID is more secure than typing a long password (which cannot be complex since I need to memorize it because all the complex unique passwords are in 1Password.)

So.long.memorized.passwords are not nearly as good as FL!9re!YRoWz. But the former is easy to remember while the latter is impossible to remember.

I just hate having to type So.long.memorized.passwords every time I want to use 1Password X extension. I will start using the extension once I can unlock it with TouchId. Don't use my iPhone as much for adding new passwords . . . but I assume it will use FaceID?

I won't go back to the old version. The clock only runs forward.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @FogCityNative .

Long memorized passwords are just as strong as random passwords. They have length (and randomness of words) to compensate for the randomness of a total random password. As you can see in our generator, you'll get the same "Fantastic" or "Excellent" strength for both random and memoralbe password types, so have no worries about your Master Password's safety. Furthermore, your data is also encrypted with your Secret Key, which is added up to your Master Password, making your data encrypted with a super ultra long random password.

Using a memorabl password is one way to use 1Password more easily, but you can also adjust the auto-lock timer in 1Password's settings:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of the browser's window and select "Settings".
    3. In the settings page, adjust the securty and auto-lock settings as you see fit.

Keep in mind that 1Password in the browser will still lock up regardless of these settings if you quit the browser completely, or restart/shutdown your computer. If you can, keep your browser running (assuming you're in a secure environment where no one else has access to your computer) and you'll be able to keep using 1Password without unlocking it most of the time.

I hope you'll find this info helpful :)

This discussion has been closed.