Limiting family to specific shared vaults; setup questions

ctmerkel1
ctmerkel1
Community Member

I currently have a family subscription and have essentially 'Private vault' for myself; shared vault1 for daughter; shared vault2 for son. However, when I log into my daughter's account is (1) asked for the 'Family master password' - not hers and (2) her account can see all the vaults, not just hers. I don't want her to see my 'Private vault' in case her computer would get compromised.

I've gone through the settings and invitations process and based on what I see, she should only have access to her vault. I can't seem to get her account to accept her Master Password and only see her shared vault. (BTW - her computer is a Windows10 setup)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ctmerkel1

It sounds like you have linked her device to your account instead of hers. You would need to unlink the device and relink it to her account. She would have her own Master Password, Secret Key and email when filling in the details or scanning them.

• ctmerkel1
    ctmerkel1
    Community Member

If I unlink her account, will her Shared Vault go away and be deleted?

Also - does she have her own version of my.1password.com? My understanding is that she is under my instance since I can support up to 5 users under that subscription.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2021

Unlinking the account from the device has no relation to the actual deletion of an account or her data.

Yes she has her own login and can use 1Password.com. You are the Family Organizer, and there are up to five individuals under you. Each member has their own login to 1password.com and their own Master Password.

If you created the vault under your account you would need to share that vault with her. All accounts have a Primary vault in addition to any shared vaults.

Create and share vaults

• ctmerkel1
    ctmerkel1
    Community Member

Ok - so I need for her to create her own account under 1Password.com, under her own email address - and then I can share with her? However, if true - does her account get charged as well, or does she fall under my 5 licenses?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@ctmerkel1 Yes, but you need to invite her to join your 1Password family & then she sets-up her own account under her own email address. Log-in to 1password.com using your credentials and send her an invite from the following page:

https://my.1password.com/invitations

• ctmerkel1
    ctmerkel1
    Community Member

That worked perfect. Thank you for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @ctmerkel1! I am glad to hear that the suggestion worked (and thank you missingbits for the assist) :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.