Can I open the *full* app window via a shortcut?

Options
casraf
casraf
Community Member

Is it possible to open the fully-featured window of 1Password with a shortcut?

I know about the ability to open autofill suggestions + autofill with Cmd+\ (default)
And I also know about the ability to open 1Password Mini with Cmd+Option+\ (default).

But I would like to disable 1Password Mini altogether, and open the full app window, using a shortcut.

A less ideal but also good solution that is not implemented, is to tie the "Open 1Password" cog menu item from 1Password Mini.

Honestly, you can't really create new items that aren't passwords using a shortcut, I don't understand why it has to be this inconvenient to move from Mini to full?

Is that possible with 1Password?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store
Extension Version: N/A - 4.7.5.90 (Brave/Chrome)
OS Version: OS X 11.1
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:keyboard shortcut

Comments

• @casraf,

Thanks for the question, it isn't possible at this time to bring up the main window with a keyboard shortcut built directly into 1Password itself. There are other software products such as Keyboard Maestro that let you trigger scripted actions using shortcuts, you would need to tell it to open the 1Password application itself which would trigger showing the main window. AppleScript and the Services menu might be another option here a la. tell application "1Password" activate end tell and then using the Keyboard prefpane to define a keyboard shortcut for that Service.

A less ideal but also good solution that is not implemented, is to tie the "Open 1Password" cog menu item from 1Password Mini.

If you right click on the menubar icon itself you should find an "Open 1Password" menu item.

• jjarrett
    jjarrett
    Community Member
    Options

I was trying to accomplish this myself (late 2019 16" MBP, Big Sur), and the AppleScript approach does not work for three reasons:

1. The application in question is "1Password 7"
    2. When you close the window or otherwise quit 1Password, a process by that name stays running, and telling it "activate" does not result in the main window becoming visible.
    3. If you leave the main window open, then activate works, but it switches your virtual desktop to whichever one the main window happens to be on, which is counter to the mission of making interactions with 1Password smoother.

These nearly work

• AppleScript on the order of do shell script "/usr/bin/open \"/Applications/1Password 7.app\""
    • An Automator action to "Launch Application"
    • AppleScript telling the Finder to open 1Password (didn't test this, but it follows that it would)

but in all cases, #3 still applies.

I want to launch the 1Password main window less often than the mini window, but commonly several times per day, to do some combination of creating or editing information stored in there. The status quo seems like a significant oversight. Clicking a series of targets with the mouse or installing third party software is no substitute for a good keyboard shortcut.

Maybe some day I'll get around to trying to AppleScript together some combination of identifying + moving windows or conditionally launching 1Password -- it's more work than seems appropriate though, when the mini window's shortcut works so well, aside from being the wrong window.

• casraf
    casraf
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with @jjarrett, this seems like a major oversight... And I really think the ability to assign an extra/alternative shortcut would be a really simple solution, which I know I and hopefully many other users will enjoy, as the mini window has some limited functionality, and it's very tedious to go back and forth when doing some arrangements

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021
    Options

Thank you both for the feedback here! I will be happy to pass it to the team for future consideration :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#572

This discussion has been closed.