Touch ID dialog not active when 1Password 7.7 launches

billj
billj
Community Member

When I launch 1Password 7.7 on my Touch ID-capable MacBook Pro 16-inch, the "1Password 7" is trying to unlock dialog box is visible, and sits above the 1Password app, but it is not "active" (in the foreground). So I need to click on it with the mouse to make it active before I can enter my Touch ID. This behavior is new to version 7.7. I am attaching a screen shot, which I've converted to JPEG to reduce file size.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 Chrome
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @billj!

I could not reproduce this issue, the Touch ID popup was always focused so far. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Alternatively, a reboot might also help.

Do you see the same behavior now?

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Hi @ag_ana

Thanks for replying to my post.

I thought about your email for a few days, then decided to shut down my MacBook Pro, unplug the external display, perform a cold boot, launch 1Password 7.7, and see what happens. Indeed, the Touch ID popup was focused.

So then I shut down the computer again, reconnect my display, cold booted, and now, when I launch 1Password, it appears on my external display AND the Touch ID popup is focused.

We'll see if it continues to behave properly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @billj, thank you for the update :+1:

• billj
    billj
    Community Member

Well, @ag_ana

I woke up my Mac this morning, launched Chrome, then launched 1Password. Unfortunately, the Touch ID popop was not focused. So I quit 1Password and launched it again. Same thing. Quit 1Password, quit Chrome, launched 1Password. Same problem. So then I restarted the computer, launched Chrome, and launched 1Password. This time, the Touch ID popup was focused.

I wrote the above (using Chrome). And then, out of curiosity, quit 1Password and re-launched it. This time, the Touch ID popup was not focused. I repeated this with Chrome as the foreground app and with Finder in the foreground. Same results when I launched 1Password.: the Touch ID popup was not focused.

So, it seems there's a problem that is only temporarily addressed when restarting the computer.

While I'm here, let me add one more observation. I use the lock button on my MacBook Pro's Touch Bar to lock 1Password. Prior to version 7.7, for this to work, an item in 1Password needed to be actively selected (blue selection color vs. gray). If the item was "gray-selected," the lock button was not available. But with 7.7, I noticed that the lock button was available even if the item was "gray-selected." Except now I'm noticing that this behavior is inconsistent. By which I mean, if the item is blue-selected, the lock button is always displayed in the Touch Bar. But if the item is gray-selected, the lock button is sometimes displayed, but not always. This morning, an item was gray-selected and the lock button was not available. So I made it blue (button available), then clicked on Favorites in 1Password sidebar, then clicked on All Items, and the first item in the list now showed up gray-selected with the lock button available.

So then I quit 1Password, clicked on the Touch ID "button" on the lock screen, unlocked with Touch ID, and 1Password came up with the first item gray-selected and the lock button not available. Then I clicked on Favorites, clicked on All Items, and now the first item is gray-selected and the lock button is available. In other words, there seems to be inconsistent behavior going on. But for me, the bigger issue is the unfocused Touch ID popup.

• Merak75
    Merak75
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

I'm seeing this behavior (unfocused Touch ID popup.) also on my MBA M1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for the update and for the additional information! I have let our developers know that you are experiencing this :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#5135

• Merak75
    Merak75
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Just an update...
    If 1password is open and you manually lock it (Menu->1Password->Lock) and then quit the App (then reopen app) you can probably reproduce the "unfocused Touch ID popup". I have done this 3 times in a row and the pop up is unfocused. It also happens when I put the MBA to sleep and wake back up and try to open and unlock 1password.

It looks like the cursor goes into the "Enter your master password" field then the pop up goes unfocused.

• @Merak75

Thank you for the additional feedback. We'll get it into the hands of the development team.

Off-topic.

I love your avatar. It's striking how much it reminds me of a friend that I haven't spoken to in years now, ah, good memories of years past. It's time to go looking on Facebook for him. He moved to a different country, and we lost contact. Thank you for bringing up those fond memories.

• Merak75
    Merak75
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_tommy

Thats really cool. Glad I could resurrect good memories. It's always nice to hear good news.
    My daughter made it for me and it looks pretty close but I now have a really long beard, lol.

This discussion has been closed.