Getting 1P mini to suggest the right password for applications

jhurshman
jhurshman
Community Member

When I need to log into a Mac application (not a website) and I click on the 1Password icon in the menubar, I'd like to have my password for that application come up in the suggestions. However, I cannot figure out how to do this.

For example, I have to log into the Microsoft Outlook application with a password with my employer. When 1P mini opens, it says "No suggestions found for microsoftoutlook". I tried adding "microsoftoutlook" as a website on the login I want to use, but this doesn't get 1P to suggest it.

Is there any way to do this?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2021

@jhurshman

See if this helps. I do not have access to MS Outlook to test with.

If you're comfortable trying Script Editor.app you can paste this in and replace Finder with whichever application you're looking for (if it doesn't recognize the name it'll prompt you to pick it). If you hit the play button at the top you should end up with a Result.

id of application "Finder"

Which returns - "com.apple.finder"

You'd put the result in 1Password with a prefix of app:// for example app://com.apple.finder

• jhurshman
    jhurshman
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Thanks, that worked. (The bundle identifier is com.microsoft.Outlook.)

It would be awesome if 1Password had the ability to do this natively (e.g., by drag and drop of an application onto the login card and/or with an "associate login with application" control).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_tommy, you are welcome @jhurshman! And thank you for the suggestion @jhurshman :+1:

• SavannahNeponset
    SavannahNeponset
    Community Member

Thanks for the Q&A - I have had this same question for a long time. For those who may be following along, I had to do a bit of Googling to understand the following:

1. The "Script Editor" is an app which resides in the Utilities subfolder of the Applications folder.
    2. You enter the line which starts with "id of application" in the main body of the Script Editor window, immediately below the line which contains the word "AppleScript"
    3. The result appears in the "Result" area of the Script Editor window.
    4. You enter the result, preceded by app://, but without any quotation marks, in the "website" field of a 1Password login item. You enter the value which you want 1Password to suggest in the "password" field of that 1Password item. You can name the 1Password login item anything you want. That is, you'll probably want to give it a name which matches or resembles the name of the application you are targeting with this effort, but there is no strict rule about how you name it.

With these bits in place, this worked for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing this information @SavannahNeponset! I am sure other users will find this useful :+1:

This discussion has been closed.