Why is the Safari Inline Helper so problematic?

Chevalier
Chevalier
Community Member

I've got to the stage now where I've partially disabled this by turning off the second option but will turn it off completely if it gets in my way any more. 1PW seems to be more intrusive than helpful at the moment on my Mac with its damn box popping up every time I click a user / password field and it blocks the field below it. I have to constantly get rid of it on a field by field by field basis.

One reason where I thought it might prove useful is to use 1PW strong passwords rather than Safari's but it can't even do that right!! Not sure if it's down to me or the website in question but it made real bloody hard work of trying to register for a site. Kept popping up suggesting a strong password but clicking to use it didn't seem to bring up a prompt to save it and opening it again brought up another password. Intuitive it is not! At the moment I'm inclined to disable 1PW from working with Safari at all as it seems to be more of an obstruction than a help, I'll just open it on my phone and type the password in myself, rather that than the hassle of 1Password poking its bloody oar in every 10 minutes on a browser! Opening 1PW on the phone I've got multiple entries now for the same site, only one with a user name but no password and all the others with passwords not one of which is the correct one. I'll be going back to Safari and copy the bloody passwords into 1PW myself if this is the 1PW version of integration!

Seriously unimpressed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Chevalier! Welcome to the forum!

Is the password manager in Safari also enabled alongside 1Password, or is this happening after you have turned off the inline password fields from Safari itself?

1PW seems to be more intrusive than helpful at the moment on my Mac with its damn box popping up every time I click a user / password field and it blocks the field below it. I have to constantly get rid of it on a field by field by field basis.

Can you please post a screenshot of this, and let us know what website this is happening with so we can test it? Thank you!

• Chevalier
    Chevalier
    Community Member

Hi, the problem happened yesterday on the Mantic Games website. I've changed nothing with Safari but it was 1PW that was bringing up the pop-ups. I disabled that today from 1PW>Preferences>Settings>Browsers etc. I can't post a screen shot as it's not happening now since I disabled the 1PW helper. Now when I use a password I have created myself Safari only offers to save it, which suits me for now as the hassle of having to copy that into 1PW is far less than having 1PW turned on.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Chevalier:

Thank you for the confirmation! I suspected you might have had both enabled. You are certainly free to keep both on, or disable the 1Password inline menu if you prefer, but our recommendation is to do it the other way:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Leaving both on could cause some interference, so I wonder if this is what was causing the behavior (or at least part of it) :+1:

In any case, if you decide to continue using Safari for this, keep in mind that you will have data split in two places, if you need to restore it in a new browser or device in the future.

• Chevalier
    Chevalier
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Not sure. It was only the 1PW helper that was coming up and only 1PW I had no end of problems trying to save a password in. I might try it some day with 1PW enabled and Safari disabled, but not yet, I had enough of it yesterday. And as I say, the Safari option didn't even feature in the issues I had. Thanks for the help anyway.

The title may be a bit misleading. A better one may have been "Why is the 1PW Inline Helper so problematic when used with Safari".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @Chevalier, we are here if you need any help or suggestions in the future :+1:

This discussion has been closed.