Ability to edit webform fields (autofill for username, password and pin)

Options
drsky125
drsky125
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I migrated from Lastpass to 1password yesterday and I'm still experimenting all the features. One thing that Lastpass enabled was editing web form details. This is pretty useful for websites that require a username and password on one page, and a pin on a second page. The specific site that causes me some headache is USAA (https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon?logoffjump=true). While I am able to save the login information from the first login screen (username and password), I am not able to save the pin requested on the next screen. The web form fields are j_username, j_password, and table:row1:pin1 respectively. How can I add this last web form field to the other login info stored in 1password?

1Password Version: 7.6.791
Extension Version: 1.23.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• drsky125
    drsky125
    Community Member
    Options

@missingbits
    Thanks for sharing this thread. I inspected the USAA login page and found out that the field was named "table:row1:pin1" and was formatted as a password. I added this new custom field in the USAA login information stored in my vault, along with the pin. Unfortunately, this results in the same error as before where the login information from the first USAA login page is correctly filled (i.e., username and password), but the pin on the second login page is autofilled using the password information (not the pin).
    So, back to my original question: does 1Password allow for editing web form fields? If not, how does 1Password manage this kind of login, which consists of three pieces of information (username, password and pin) spreaded over two login pages?

• drsky125
    drsky125
    Community Member
    Options

First, a correction. The field name for the pin requested on the second USAA login page is "pinTextField" and is assigned a "password" type. I followed the instructions provided by @missingbits and created a custom field (name: pinTextField, format: password) in the USAA login stored in my vault. Same problem, 1Password systematically autofills this field using the password information instead of the pin information. FYI, LastPass and Bitwarden have no problem autofilling with the correct information for each of the three fields.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey @drsky125 ,
    Sounds like you did things correctly, but the problem here is that the field is a password field, so 1Password defaults to the main password field of the item instead of the custom field.

There are a couple of workarounds I can offer at the moment, and a suggestions to improve things:

• When you see that field on the website (when logging in), open 1Password from the top right corner of your browser, grab that custom field with your mouse and drag it into the field on the website. Drag and drop is very helpful in such situations.
    • You can save that additional password field as a brand new login, which will result in you having two different logins for this website, but you should be able to autofill all the fields that way.

To help us improve 1Password, you can send us the page's structure and we'll teach 1Password how to behave on that page in a future update if you'd like. Here's how:

1. Get to that PIN password field.
    2. Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Help" -> "Collect page structure".
    3. A new tab will open with a lot of text. Copy everything into a text file and send us that text file to support+extensions@1password.com with a short description of the issue and a link to this discussion.
    4. Our developers will take a look at it and improve 1Password on that page when they can, so it will work better in a future update of 1Password.
  • drsky125
    drsky125
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron Thank you for your suggestion, I'll send the page structure.
    In LastPass, I was able to get around this issue by adding a custom web form field matching the name of the pin field on the web page. Can you explain why 1Password does not allow editing web form fields? Just curious to know.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure @drsky125 .

We've moved from web form fields to custom fields, to make things easier and clearer. The current web form fields are hard to get to and somewhat complicated, but custom fields are right there in your login item, and you can use either the field's name, ID or title, which would work in most cases.

It doesn't work here because that field is a password field, and 1Password's logic defaults to the main password field when trying to autofill it because there are no other fields on the page that it can match the main password field to.
    1Password's logic is aimed at autofilling even if the web form details or custom fields are incorrect or missing, so it makes educated guesses on what should be filled and where. A single password field on the page would score higher for the main password field in the login item than it would for a custom field with the same name.

I hope that clarifies the situation :)

• drsky125
    drsky125
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron Thanks for your explanations. This is the only website that creates problems. It's also not a very common login method and the website should move to a much better 2FA method. Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I couldn't agree more @drsky125 :)
    We all wish that websites would follow a specific standard but we're far from it. There will always be problematic websites.

Fortunately, it is not that common :)

This discussion has been closed.