Why does the 1Password Mac not sync reliably?

Thorendor
Thorendor
Community Member

This is the 2nd time recently where 1Password data on my iPhone was missing information that was entered on the Mac. I had to go to the Mac, open 1Password, and then automagically the data on my other devices is updated. What does it take to ensure that the data is reliably sync'ed?

1Password Version: 7.7 (0700015)
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Mac does not sync

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Thorendor! Welcome to the forum!

I had to go to the Mac, open 1Password, and then automagically the data on my other devices is updated

Did you perhaps make these changes when 1Password on your Mac was offline? If you opened the 1Password app later on and it managed to sync your items properly right away, perhaps there were some temporary issues on that device.

• Thorendor
    Thorendor
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana! It’s unlikely the Mac was offline because I was using 1Password to update an online credential, and especially given that this happened more than once.

• @Thorendor

We have a notifier service that runs in the background looking for changes. We're investigating reports where syncing (incoming) is delayed on the Mac. It's possible something may be blocking our communication on your device or network. In the time being, I might suggest switching vaults from one to another and back again. This has helped others who have experienced the same behavior.

That said, I am not aware of any reports for outgoing sync issues. Are you using an VPN's or firewall programs that may inhibit the ability of 1Password to communicate properly?

• Thorendor
    Thorendor
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_tommy for the suggestion. I’ll try the vault switching and see if the issue recurs

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @Thorendor, let us know what you find out :+1:

• Thorendor
    Thorendor
    Community Member

@ag_tommy your suggestion worked. A password created on iOS was not showing up on my Mac. I switched to shared vault, and then back to all vaults. Then the missing password appeared.

• Thorendor
    Thorendor
    Community Member

It would be great to get the bug fixed; is there any information I can provide to help you figure out what's going on?

• @Thorendor

I believe the team has a plan in place to combat the issue. Thank you for the offer. We may come knocking on your email inbox and take you up on that offer if things should change.

• Raincoasted
    Raincoasted
    Community Member

@ag_tommy, I was having this same problem and this suggestion fixed it, too, as it did for @Thorendor.

• synacsyn
    synacsyn
    Community Member

Hi, I noticed this same issue tonight and it has been happening for quite a while. I have to toggle between my vault for new items to show up. When will this bug be fixed, this is honestly some of the most basic functionality expected of a product like this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @Raincoasted, that's great to hear :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@synacsyn:

Hopefully we will have a fix available for this soon, but in any case it will be as soon as possible :+1: Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

• Raincoasted
    Raincoasted
    Community Member

Wondering if this is any closer to a solution, too? The workaround still works around, but it would be nice to have it fixed permanently.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Raincoasted:

For confirmation, what sync method are you using?

• Raincoasted
    Raincoasted
    Community Member

I have a 1Password Families account, so whatever that sync method is?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Raincoasted:

Thank you for the confirmation! So when this happens, can you confirm that you see the new item if you login to your account on the 1Password.com website in a browser? This will help understand if the issue is with your 1Password for Mac app not being able to get the update, or if it's perhaps on the other device, if the update does not reach the server in the first place.

• Raincoasted
    Raincoasted
    Community Member

Well, that is curious...it didn't work last night, but now it does! The only thing I changed up was that I logged into the 1Password.com website. Now the creation of new log-ins is syncing right away.

I can't explain that, but it seems to be working properly now!

• @Raincoasted

Sounds good. If things change and you find yourself in need of help, we're close by.

This discussion has been closed.