Is there a way to search for a particular password in 1Password on a windows PC?

woronoff
woronoff
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Is there a way to search for a particular password in 1Password on a windows PC? I was told a certain password was found on the dark web.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a way to search for a particular password in 1Password on a windows PC?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @woronoff! Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can enter the password itself in the 1Password search field ;)

Search 1Password to find what you need

• woronoff
    woronoff
    Community Member

Thanks for your answer. I searched the password found in the dark web, and it is nowhere in my 1Password search field. I guess that means that none of my current saved passwords match the leaked password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That would be it @woronoff, if the search returned no results :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @woronoff!

and it is nowhere in my 1Password search field

It could also be that it is a previously used password in an entry. I just tried to search for a specific password. 2 entries were found but none of them is using this password. But when clicking the option "Show previously used passwords" in these entries then there is this password I searched for. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB:

I believe the user is reporting the opposite behavior: the password is not appearing in the results at all. This would suggest that it's not a previously used password either.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Ok. Just wanted to say @ag_ana. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• TravelerX
    TravelerX
    Community Member

Similar issue for me, but the security service (Norton Lifelock) doesn't expose the full password, just beginning and end with asterisks in between. Is there a way to use wildcards? (e.g. abc****xyz)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@TravelerX With the Windows and Mac apps you can search for fragments of passwords. So you can search for the password in your example by entering abc or xyz.

• TravelerX
    TravelerX
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response! I was hoping there was a wildcard function since on one of the passwords Norton just gives a single letter (first and last), so it matches just about all my records somewhere. :|

• Dayton_ag
    edited February 2021

Hey there @TravelerX! To expand on what @missingbits mentioned, you can string a few fragments together, separating the fragments with a space. For example, if Lifelock let's you know that a password ABC****123 has been exposed, you can type ABC 123 into 1Password, and it should track down any password that matches those two fragments. :smile:

• 2fast4u
    2fast4u
    Community Member

Are there any options for wildcards? I got a notification that a password was found, but in a structure like _a_b_c_d where the dashes are masked characters. If I search for “a b c d” I get of course nearly all entries back. So ist there a way to use wildcards like “?a?b?c?d” ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@2fast4u:

I have tested this in the app, and unfortunately it doesn't look like this is possible at the moment :( I have however passed your suggestion to the developers, so they know you would find this useful :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#147

• 2fast4u
    2fast4u
    Community Member

Thanks, very much appreciated! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure :)

This discussion has been closed.