IPassword asks me if I want to update my username and password every time

Djrogier
Djrogier
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Every time I log in to an existing web site with the an account saved in 1Password, 1Password prompts with a dialogue box asking I want to update the username and password. I am a new user to 1Password and this alone is a deal breaker for using this application.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1passowrd asks me to update username and password every time i login to website

Comments

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Sounds like a typical misbehaving website issue. The techs here have a BIG bag of tricks to deal with such anomalies. Rest assured, smooth sailing is close at hand.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Djrogier! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please check the URL of the website, and the URL you stored inside 1Password for this Login item? Do they match?

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member

I checked and they do match. One strange thing is that this seems to occur right after I create the new item in 1Passowrd. I create it by logging on to the website and selecting "Save in 1Password" and then when I log in after that it asks me if I want to update. It does this until i have to log back in to 1Password after it times out. after I log back in seems to not ask me anymore. Strange.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Djrogier:

Thank you for the confirmation! Can you please share the entire URL with us? We can definitely test this specific website and see what on that page is causing this :+1:

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member

It happens on every one I add. Once I have to unlock 1Password and then click autofill it seems to work. Maybe I am adding new logins incorrectly?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Djrogier:

Can you share the numbered list of steps that you are following to create a new login? We can test them in the exact order and see if we can trigger the same behavior.

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member

Steps I follow are: 1) go tp login page of website, 2) place cursor in username field and type in user name, 3) click the button that pops up below the username field that says "save in 1password". A dialogue box pops up entitled "1Password - Save Login" with 3 fields Vault, Title and Tags - I click Save Login, 4) I then click in the passord filed and key in the password and click on the "save in 1password" button that shows, 5) I get a dialogue box that is entitled "1Passord - Save Login" and it asks "Would you like to update your existing username and password fro this site in 1Password?", 6) I select the "Update Existing Button" . I am logged in to the site. I log out of the site and go to another site. When I come back to log in to the site a few minutes later that I just created it gives me the dialogue box entitled "1Passord - Save Login" and it asks "Would you like to update your existing username and password fro this site in 1Password?" and I select "Update existing button."

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021

Hey @Djrogier ,
    Thanks for the additional info.

I believe this issue was mostly resolved in our latest beta, and I would appreciate it if you give it a try and see if things indeed work better there. If you can, please try this:

1. Install the latest 1Password beta: https://support.1password.com/betas
    2. Restart your Mac.
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and see if you can reproduce the issue.

The beta is safe to use and will not affect your data :)
    Let us know how it goes. If you wish to go back to the stable version at any point, simply download and install it from our main downloads page: https://1password.com/downloads/

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

I went you provided and followed the instructions on the website - they are:

Open and unlock 1Password.
    Choose 1Password > Preferences > Updates.
    Turn on “Include beta builds” and click Check Now.
    Updates will be installed automatically when “Automatically install updates” is turned on.

When I open 1Password>Preferences there is no "Updates" I can select from. My options are General, mini, security, accounts, watchtower, vaults, browsers, notifications and advanced. I have attached a screen shot. I looked in each section and could not find updates anywhere. What am I missing?

• @Djrogier

It sounds like you are using the Mac App Store version of 1Password. To use the betas, you'll need to switch to the website version.

How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member

I am not running the version from the app store. The screen shot is from 1Password version 7.7 on my mac. I did not download from the App Store. I went to the 1Password website and signed up for an new account on Sunday and downloaded the Mac version from your website on Sunday. I am running it on OSX 10.15.7 (Catalina).

• @Djrogier

The Updates tab is not shown in the Mac App Store version because that store provides all of the updates. Could you check to make sure that version is not installed on your device? You can use this set of instruction to do that.

How to keep 1Password up to date

This is how the version from the website should look. Notice the updates tab is shown. That is, unless you've encountered a bug of some kind. Which could happen.

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member

Thanks. I checked and the text does say Mac App store. That is weird since I was on your site to download. I will follow above instructions and report back

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member

I did that and it nows says the following...I will now g to updates and select the beta version

1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700015)
    1Password Store

• @Djrogier

Cool! Let us know how it goes.

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member

I am now running the beta and I am still getting the same result as before. When I add a new web site and then go to login I get the dialogue box shown in the first part of this thread. It occurred with the first 3 I added today. I am running 1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-9 (70701009) on MacOs 10.15.7 (Catalina)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021

Hey @Djrogier ,
    Thank you kindly for the update.

Can you please try the following:

1. Open your 1Password app.
    2. Click the "1Password" menu on the top left next to the Apple logo and select "Preferences".
    3. In the preferences window, select the "Browsers" tab and disable the "Detect usernames and passwords and offer to save them" option.
    4. Test and see if you are still getting this prompt to save/update when you log into a website.
  • Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member

I had disabled that on Monday per another support person's request. I checked and it is still disabled.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021

Thanks for the update @Djrogier .

Just to make sure we're on the same page, when you go to 1Password's preferences -> Browsers, this is what it looks like?

If so, can you please the following:

1. Open Safari and go to https://fill.dev/form/login-simple
    2. Manually type in made up credentials (e.g. "TestUser" and "StrongPassword123").
    3. Do not click on "Save in 1Password". Just click the Login button to send the form (or hit Enter on your keyboard when you are done typing).

Does 1Password still pop up and asks you if you want to save it?

ref: dev/apple/issues/-/#5259

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member

yes it does. BTW, when 1Password locks and I open it agin the issue goes away. So as long as I do not go the new site while 1Password has not locked and I have reopen, it does this.

• Thank you for confirming for us, @Djrogier. Yaron has an opened an issue internally for further investigation on this. 🤞

This discussion has been closed.