Permissions for 1Password Family

dlaplexurenet
dlaplexurenet
Community Member

Is it possible to have a shared vault but limit access to read-only? Especially for kids, I want to avoid that they can remove or change items in a vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021

Hi @dlaplexurenet!

Edit: This is possible if you create a new vault:

Only the automatically-created Shared vault is available to everyone by default (thanks to missingbits for the hint below!)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana!

only available in Teams and Business accounts

But it would be a really great feature in families accounts, too. I actually use my individual account to manage some passwords for the kids. But I think about switching to a family account but don't want my kids to delete or change accounts without my permission.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @DenalB :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

As always you are very welcome. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@dlaplexurenet I hesitate to contradict @ag_ana and I'm probably going to regret doing so, but I thought this functionality was available in Families.

The default shared vault doesn't allow you to define the permissions, everyone in the family gets "view & edit" rights. However, if you create a new shared vault you can decide whether an individual user has "view" or "view & edit" rights.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member

I agree. This should be a feature of family accounts as well.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

It would be great if this is already a feature available in Families @missingbits. :+1:
    I'm not able to test this because I'm on an individual account.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member

@missingbits is correct. I just checked and it’s only the default shared vault that permissions can’t be modified.

Thanks for clarifying.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@more_cowbell thanks for confirming. I remember this being confusing when trying to set-up shared vaults for my family. I wanted to control the view and edit rights to each vault and had unwittingly made things more difficult by re-using the default shared vault. We now don't store anything in our default shared vault and just use it for moving items between private vaults.

• dlaplexurenet
    dlaplexurenet
    Community Member

@missingbits thanks for this hint. I just tried it out and it's working.
    That I have to create an additional vault is not a real problem for me.
    Thanks again! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021

My bad @missingbits, you are correct :) And you should never hesitate to contradict me :P I will update my original comment now. Thank you!

• ruud3822
    ruud3822
    Community Member

Perhaps it's good to add that this defining the permissions is only possible within a browser, not in any of the standalone apps. Is this something that will be added soon?

• @ruud3822

The desktop apps are continuing to evolve. They just haven't caught up yet. I'm afraid I don't have any time frames to share.

• ruud3822
    ruud3822
    Community Member

Hi Tommy,
    No problem, I'm already glad it is possible to edit the permissions per member in the Family account

• :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.