Disable AutoLock in Chrome

sadokx
sadokx
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I come from LastPass, seeing if I should move to 1P. So far I've found the need to "unlock" 1P with my master password INCREDIBLY annoying given my master password is, of course, a secure password (long and complicated to type).

LastPass never did this the last 5 years I've used it and it didn't make it less secure. On the contrary, it made it seamless to use a Password Manager.

Please tell me there's a way to disable Autolock on Chrome otherwise I'll have to leave 1P. After a restart of the computer or quitting the browser it's fine, but not after waking up from sleep if I still have Chrome open.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.23.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sadokx ,

We're working on a feature that will allow 1Password in the browser to be integrated with the 1Password 7 desktop app, which, among other things, will allow you to keep it unlocked even when you close the browser and unlock it with Windows Hello, which is super comfortable. We're hoping to release it soon :)

In the meantime, here are a few suggestions that I believe you will find helpful:

• You can adjust 1Password's auto-lock settings in the extension's settings (Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of Chrome -> Settings). Keep in mind that even if you disable auto-lock, 1Password will lock up when you close the browser completely, so this is only valid while the browser is open.
    • You can change your Master Password to something that is easy to remember and type, but still strong for your data's security, like a memorable/worded password.
    • You can remove 1Password in the browser and install 1Password Classic instead. 1Password Classic already integrates with the desktop app and can remain unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked. The downside is that Classic doesn't show up inside usernames/password fields automatically to suggest autofilling and you must interact with it directly.

I hope you'll find these helpful.
    Keep your apps up to date and stay tuned for new features :)

• sadokx
    sadokx
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply @ag_yaron I actually found the hidden Extension settings, which apparently are different than the 1password account settings, and it had the Disable Autolock feature so that works and I'm glad it does! For the record I use macOS so I don't know what Windows Hello is but I have no problem with locking after quitting the browser. I don't know how to delete this post, feel free to delete as it seems it was a feature already, albeit hard to find. Thanks!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sadokx ,

I'm glad to hear you found that setting helpful! And pardon me, I was certain you are using Windows for some reason. On Mac, you'll be able to use Touch ID to unlock 1Password once the integration arrives.

No need to delete the post :)
    We're here if you require further assistance with anything else.

• Juep
    Juep
    Community Member

Hi, sorry, I'm also interested in solving this problem. I also come from last pass. What would these hidden settings be? Where are? Thank you.

• Hey @Juep! It's not necessarily a hidden setting, just something on the Settings page itself (right-click the icon in your browser's toolbar and choose Settings):

1Password will always lock when you quit your browser, regardless of this setting. Let us know if you have questions about this!

• Juep
    Juep
    Community Member

Hi @ag_michaelc. No that doesn't work, every time I close chrome, then I find 1password locked and it's very inconvenient to put the master password every time. I wish it wouldn't crash when I exit the browser, like Last Pass does.

• Hey @Juep. I mentioned this in my previous comment:

1Password will always lock when you quit your browser, regardless of this setting.

Are you on Windows, or on Mac? If you're on Mac, are you quitting Chrome, or simply closing the window?

• Juep
    Juep
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I read in fact that 1password blocks every time you exit the browser, and I was referring to what was said by @sadokx who said he had found a different solution. I'm in windows.

• ag_michaelc
    edited February 2021

I think sadokx might have been referring to the difference between auto-lock settings on 1Password.com and 1Password in your browser, @Juep. That setting in my screenshot is what controls whether auto-lock is on or off. When Chrome closes on Windows, it closes completely, whereas on Mac you have to specifically choose to quit the browser (just closing the window does not do this), so there is a difference in behavior between the two platforms.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @Juep,

I'm in windows.

You could use the classic extension which doesn't lock when closing the browser. I'm using the Windows desktop app together with the classic extension. I only have to unlock the app / extension when locking the computer. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB:

Indeed, my colleague Yaron mentioned that option in his reply above last week:

• You can remove 1Password in the browser and install 1Password Classic instead. 1Password Classic already integrates with the desktop app and can remain unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked. The downside is that Classic doesn't show up inside usernames/password fields automatically to suggest autofilling and you must interact with it directly.
  • joeydriessen
    joeydriessen
    Community Member

Just want to bump this request :+1:
    Also coming from LastPass (wondering why :)) but it would be a great feature to have more control over when/how often it will lock.
    In LastPass for example you can "trust" an computer for 30 days which means it doesn't need your password/2FA for that period.
    Keeps it very easy in use without filling in you password every time :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Keeps it very easy in use without filling in you password every time.

Yes, that keeps it easy. But it's also a question of security...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

As @DenalB mentioned, we don't compromise security for convenience :)

For example, if your computer is restarted/shutdown, we have no way of knowing what has happened in that downtime, and therefor 1Password will always lock up in that scenario and requires you to fully unlock it the next time you try to open 1Password. Same things with our 1Password app for iPhone/Android.

• Moftangiu
    Moftangiu
    Community Member

@ag_yaron
    While I agree with you, I must say that in fact you do compromise security because of convenience by "forcing us" to use a simpler passwords (and not something that would qualify as "master" passwords) and that kind of passwords can be easily viewed from afar.

• pixycz
    pixycz
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Thanks god for the classic extension still available and thanks @DenalB for the link to it! I accidentally replaced it with the new one in my Chrome and I hate it from the bottom of my heart. Not only I have to enter my strong long complicated master password several times a day, but also all the 1Pwd icons and annoying dropdowns on every second input, it's horrible. The fact I could return to the classis extension made my day.

I really hate how 1Passwords gets complicated and overcomplicated over years… At this moment I don't understand more than a half of its features and I don't need more than a half of the rest. There are more and more new features, while the major features – the main reason I use a password manager – slowly become unusable. Couple of simple scenarios, like create a new password on iPhone are kind of a horror… :( I am senior UX designer, 25 years experience, and this is one of the worse anti-patterns developers do, everywhere, all the time. We need to improve our app for the next version – let's add a dozen of new features. That's so wrong… Do you really want to improve your app? Simplify it! It will be perfect at the moment you can't cut away anything else. If there was a list of features with OFF buttons, if there was a "1Password Light" app, I would love it!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @pixycz! I am hopeful that the reintroduction of the desktop app integration in the other extension will make things more enjoyable for you :)

This discussion has been closed.