Can I make 1Password7 not create separate password entities each time I change my password?

jcharles00
jcharles00
Community Member

I don't really know the right way to search or ask this question.. so here's best attempt..

I've noticed on both mac and windows 1password7 clients that any time I change a password it creates a new "password" entry rather than just updating the login entity for that site. This is a gigantic PITA, because pretty soon I have half a dozen of these password entries.. so not only does trying to login with the login entry not work, but now I have to sift through all the password entries to find the one that is right.. easy enough in the app, but when I'm on my phone the safari integration doesn't show dates, so I'm literally just guessing.

I don't think it always did this, and am wondering if there's a way to turn this off. I get that it might be nice to keep a log of past passwords incase I mess something up, but hell, that's why websites have "forgot password" flows.

Any help?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• @jcharles00

The password items are a generated password that you may not have saved as a login. You may have generated a password and not saved it. I think of the password section as a safety net to prevent you from being locked out of a site if you forget to save a login. It has saved me on more than one occasion over the past 13 years. Sometimes you get in a hurry and click cancel or don't update. That's when the feature comes into play.

1Password has a nifty feature that allows you to remove redundant passwords. To use that feature open 1Password, and then from the menu bar at the top of your screen, select Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords. What that does is look at your logins and your generated passwords. If it finds a match between two items, it offers to remove the generated password entry.

• jcharles00
    jcharles00
    Community Member

Hey Tommy - That makes sense! I started seeing those about the time I started using the autogenerator. I never would have guess that that's what they were!

Thanks!

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.