LearningToFly
LearningToFly
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password version 7.6.791
Windows 10
Chrome Browser
Chrome Extension 1.23.0 (?)

My auto submit has stopped working on my Chrome browser, I believe after a most recent 1P update. I found this discussion:
https://1password.community/discussion/106801/submit-when-enabled-means-what
which references a General setting that is followed when "submit when enabled" option is selected. I looked thru all my settings in both the Desktop client and the Chrome extension and I can't find that setting. Where can I find it? Or suggestions on how to fix the issue?

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @LearningToFly!

It seems like you are using the Windows desktop app together with the 1Password extension (formerly known as 1Password X). You should know that both don't communicate with each other.

The legacy 1Password classic extension would be the right for you. You can get it here: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

The classic extension works together with the desktop app. And I think this should solve your problem, right?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @LearningToFly ,

We're moving away from the auto-submit feature since it is unsafe to send keyboard presses on behalf of the user (it basically sends the Enter key after autofilling), which is why it is not available in recent versions. Security is our top priority and we're always changing and evolving around it :)

You can hit Enter manually after autofilling, which will log you in to the website just like auto-submit did.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member

Thank you @DenalB . That worked to bring back my auto submit feature.
    @ag_yaron Thanks for the explaining the reason for the change. I personally like the auto submit feature so I will continue to use the 1Password classic extension as suggested by @DenalB as long as it remains supported. Was there a communication about this change in strategy? Obviously it caught me off guard.

• Hello @LearningToFly,

Auto-submit does provide a certain degree of convenience, and you can still have it with the classic extension. However, the new extension has a better filling ability and UI. Hence, in my opinion, it worth switching.

That said, we are working hard to integrate the new 1Password in your browser with the desktop app so you can have the best of them, and I hope the app integration also supports the auto-submit. You can go here for more information and updates.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thank you @DenalB . That worked to bring back my auto submit feature.

Glad, that I could help @LearningToFly! :+1:

However, the new extension has a better filling ability and UI. Hence, in my opinion, it worth switching.

You are absolutely right @nhat_1P. But for me the missing thing is the desktop integration. ;)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad we could help, and thank you @DenalB :)

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

@DenalB @ag_yaron @nhat_1P Thank you all for your information and explanations. I really appreciate it.

Would it be possible for you to try to briefly explain how the desktop client and Chrome extension "play together"? (Warning: I retired from a career in computers but I'm an old fart mainframe / procedural language kind of guy. I never learned any Java, c++, web development kind of stuff)

I've always viewed them as standalone tools and maybe I'm not using them in the most effective / productive manner.

I use the desktop client primarily for maintenance of my vault. Add a new credit card number or bank account or tweak a login for example. And use it when I need to copy / paste like a credit card number into a web page. The extension I use primarily to autofill passwords and occasionally I use the password generator. Am I missing out on some of the capabilities of the tools?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @LearningToFly , You're most welcome :)

In a nutshell, The 1Password desktop app has a background service/process (called "Extension helper") that mediates between the desktop app and the browser extension. When an extension is found in the browser, the desktop app checks that the browser passes the code signature verification test to make sure the browser is legit and wasn't tampered with, and if it passes, the desktop app allows a secure connection between the extension and the desktop app.

The 1Password Classic extension simply allows the desktop app to interact with your browser, autofill on pages and save new logins.
    The "1Password in the browser" (newer) extension is currently indeed a standalone extension that does not connect to the desktop app, but we're working on integrating it with the desktop app as we speak.

What you're missing out on is that 1Password in the browser provides a much better experience by automatically showing up inside username/password/email/credit card fields and suggest relevant actions such as saving, autofilling, generating passwords etc. It really improves the 1Password experience overall, which is why we recommend it. You can learn more about these features and what they look like here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

Granted, auto-submit is not a thing in the newer extension, but that is really a small price to pay for the added value, and the Enter key on your keyboard will do the exact same auto-submit function so nothing is actually totally missing :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks for explaining the details @ag_yaron! :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member

@ag_yaron My many thanks as well!
    I had no idea the extension would be getting the passwords from the desktop client. I thought it was pulling them from my vault on the web.
    When I had the new extension installed before I switched back to classic, I did notice it showing up in other fields ... like it does for passwords on my android phone. I think I may have to give it another try.
    Something else I learned as part of this. I knew Chrome sync'd bookmarks between my laptop and desktop, but I didn't know it sync'd extensions too!
    I continue to try to disprove the theory that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Thus my moniker and picture!

P.S. - Perhaps 'Auto Submit' could be a user selectable option in the new extension?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Perhaps 'Auto Submit' could be a user selectable option in the new extension?

This would be a very good solution. So, every user who used the classic extension and loved the "auto submit" feature could enable it others don't. ;)

• We can't make any promises on this, and as Yaron mentioned a few comments ago, autosubmit is something we've started to move away from, but we'll certainly make sure your feedback is heard, @LearningToFly and @DenalB. :smile:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#258

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks a lot @ag_michaelc! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.