Enhancement request: Password expiration reminder

Add the ability to any object to create a reminder. For password, this would be when they are about to expire. For all other object it might remind a user to update the information contained within the object (Passport renewal, Credit Card Expiration, etc.)

Sorry if this is a duplicate. Searching showed this request in 2015.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Chrome 1.22.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ricotto

Thank you. I'll pass along your comments to the other team members.

• ricotto
    ricotto
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_tommy

One addition comment.

Anticipating the argument that "you don’t gain anything by regularly changing your password, because if your password is not compromised, you don’t benefit by selecting another uncompromised password; you just inconvenience yourself", I would respond that, unfortunately, there are policies and directives within organizations that require regular password rotation.

It would make my life easier if I did not need to maintain separate calendar or implement a work around based on tags.

• @ricotto

Since it sounds like you know where we stand on arbitrarily changing passwords at predetermined intervals, I'll spare you from that. 😜

With that said, I totally understand that there are policies in place in corporations that employees must follow irregardless of whether it's actually a beneficial practice from a security standpoint or not. Something like you've described would definitely help those out who encounter this same issue -- so we're totally hearing you on that side of things!

• Lxcav
    Lxcav
    Community Member

I'd like to second this (if necessary); I am also coming from a corporate world where we used a product that rhymes with LeeTass, which allowed for an expiration date. Now that I'm storing my work passwords in my personal 1Password account, I keep looking for a place to enter the expiry date. Some companies aren't very forgiving, and will remind you only once to change a password, and on a weekend. It would just be a "nice to have" if 1Password would give a little heads-up on passwords that are about to "expire". Thanks.

• ricotto
    ricotto
    Community Member

Mine rhymed with "Oboe Storm"

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us everyone, I have passed your feedback to the developers as well :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#55

• RAbel1
    RAbel1
    Community Member

I absolutely agree with this! While I realize that it makes things a little more difficult for the coders, I think that there needs to be a lot more user customizable options. And with so many websites and programs requiring periodic log-ins and password changes, it would definitely make for a better user experience if there were notifications and reminders.

• Thanks for sharing your viewpoints as well @RAbel1 😊

• will21
    will21
    Community Member

Some of the most useful features of 1password are convenient time savers, like auto-filling credential fields, or popping up a suggested password, weak password checks, etc. it would be useful if 1password would leverage these and proactively prompt you to change a password and provide a suggested replacement.

Ideally, I open 1password, and it prompts me with a list of passwords that haven't been changed in a period of time. Within two or three clicks, using suggested passwords, I have changed all these passwords. A nice addition would be a new preference setting that lets you set the period of time at which to prompt (i.e. 1 year, 6 months) and a checkbox to enable/disable this feature.

• Thanks for sharing @will21! I've ensured that your feedback has been passed along. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.