How to make 1Password log in using the browser in focus

Options
rlf
rlf
Community Member

How do you make 1Password log you into the browser you have in focus if you're running two browsers at the same time? Mac Chrome is my default browser but I also use Firefox. If I want to log into a website in Firefox and I type in the "Show 1Password" keyboard shortcut and then type in the name of the website I want to log into, it always opens a new tab in Chrome and tries to log me in there. Also, I'm on a new computer and what I'm finding is that if I type that keyboard shortcut in, the 1Password window says, "Install the 1Password extension... Add 1Password to Firefox". But the extension is already installed in Firefox (86.0). Does 1P not work with this version of Firefox?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.1
Sync Type: 1Password cloud

Comments

• @rlf

Currently, there is no way to use a different browser. 1Password uses the macOS-defined default browser. I would suggest using the extension within each browser for those times when you need to do something special.

The extension you have installed is likely 1Password in the browser (formerly 1Password X), not our classic extension. It does not integrate directly with the Mac app, where the classic extension does. The newer extension is capable of working independently without the Mac app. With that said, the 1Password helper at the top our your screen has no knowledge of the newer 1Password extension. That is why you see the message to add the extension.

1Password (X) in the browser has its own pop-up for suggestions within the browser. That being Shift + Command + X.

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

Isn't there some way to go back to the classic extension? I'm now finding that 1Password doesn't even work with Chrome 88.0. The extension now literally does not work at all with any browser. 1Password is not entering my login or password for any websites that are in its database. 1Password is merely acting as a container for storing my passwords. If that's all it's going to do, I might as well find a different password manager because I need one that will log me into websites. That's what it's for, right?

• @rlf

Sure, you can go back to the classic extension.

Get the 1Password classic extension

Before doing that, though, we may need to troubleshoot with you more. I would encourage you to reach out to the extensions team. Please use support@1password.com, and we can get a direct line of communication going.

This discussion has been closed.