MacOS Client is Extremely Slow

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem. Once testing is complete the update will be released to everyone. :)

• AdyB
    AdyB
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same issues as many users with a slow Mac app running latest versions of both software Big Sur 11.2.1 and 1Password 7.7 (70700015). I have been experiencing this issue since upgrading to Big Sur a few weeks back, but I was confident that 1 Password would issue a fix pretty quickly, but researching this issue I see it has been ongoing since December, can you explain why it is taking so long to fix. To take over 3 months to fix an issue like this with such an important piece of software that is used and relied on multiple times a day is not what I would expect from 1password. Looking forward to an update imminently!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AdyB:

The issue has been already addressed in the latest beta, if you would like to give that a try already without waiting :+1:

Use 1Password beta releases

• AdyB
    AdyB
    Community Member

Many thanks, but a Beta is not really the best option for many people. Are you not able to answer the question of why this issue is taking so long to fix?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AdyB:

That is absolutely understandable :) In that case, you can certainly wait for the stable version to be published after testing :+1:

To answer your question: I thought I did answer your question in my previous post, so I will try to clarify: the issues has been addressed for a while already (not being a developer, I can't comment on how difficult of an issue it was to troubleshoot: for all I know the fix might have been extremely quick for its complexity for example).

As to why the beta is taking time to become a stable version, which I think is what you are asking, it's because many new fixes and improvements have been included in the latest beta channel (not to mention being M1 native), so we need proper testing :+1:

• AdyB
    AdyB
    Community Member

@ag_ana thanks very much for your more detailed explanation of the causes behind the delay 👍. I have taken the risk and installed the beta, 1Password appears to be behaving a lot better now. I'm not sure what memory it should be using, but it is currently at 244MB on a 2017 13" MacBook Pro, 3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 on big Sur 11.2.1

• sipserv
    sipserv
    Community Member

I too am having issue on Big Sur Mac running M1 processor. I'm new to 1Password so I have been doing lots of editing and cleaning up my database but it randomly freezes and does not recover without force closing. I then relaunch and good again until random freeze. I just updated to beta and will see if that helps but hope this is something being worked on.

I also notice that when I click 1-password on the menu bar at the top right of the screen it does not always load 1password and I have to click it a second time. However my shortcut Command-S always works as well as right clicking on the icon always works. This occurs even on the beta. Is this known issue?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AdyB:

I have taken the risk and installed the beta, 1Password appears to be behaving a lot better now.

That's great to hear, thank you for the update!

I'm not sure what memory it should be using, but it is currently at 244MB on a 2017 13" MacBook Pro, 3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 on big Sur 11.2.1

I see something similar on my device :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sipserv:

I don't believe I have seen this behavior with 1Password mini in the menu bar before. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Does the same thing happen now?

• lisaivolk
    lisaivolk
    Community Member

What you are doing is outrageous, it is akin to fraud. You charged me for an annual subscription, and in return I got an app that can't be used. This has been going on for 3 months and you can't do anything.

• synacsyn
    synacsyn
    Community Member

I am running the latest beta and have definitely seen the memory utilization creep up as time goes on. From yesterday to today utilization increased from ~56mb to ~500mb of RAM with no change in usage pattern by me. I am using the Safari with 1password browser extension. A complete reboot today freed the memory and now I am back to ~56mb.

2020 Intel Macbook Pro running BigSur 11.2.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lisaivolk:

Sorry for the frustration! Our developers are working on this, and as you might have read previously in the discussion, they have already tried to address this in the beta, if you would like to give it a try already:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@synacsyn:

Should this happen again, do you mind sending us a diagnostics report from your Mac for confirmation? You can email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

Where do I get to see the utilization?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@vishalsheth:

Inside the Activity Monitor app :+1:

• jzehr39158
    jzehr39158
    Community Member

I like 1PW but I'm annoyed by the constant appearance of the spinning beachball, almost to the point of wanting to go back to LastPass. Any ETA on when this issue will be fixed?

• jdmc
    jdmc
    Community Member

This just happened to me, as well. I was editing entries in the main 1Password window, and I noticed it was getting sluggish when attempting to save changes as I moved from one item to another. Finally, I got the spinning beach ball of death, and waited for it to resolve itself. But after three minutes, nothing had changed, so I had to force-quit the app. macOS presented a crash-report dialog, and I submitted a crash report. Upon re-launching the 1Password app, I see an astonishing number of what appear to be duplicate entries. On closer inspection, it appears that everything I've ever "Moved to trash" since adopting 1Password in August 2018 has now jumped back out of it, like the undead. Ugh, what a mess.

• 1Password app version 7.7 (70700015)
    • macOS "Catalina" version 10.15.7 (19H524)
    • 2018 Mac mini (Intel)
  • synacsyn
    synacsyn
    Community Member

HI,

So far memory utilization is holding steady after installing the beta. :)

• mcdonna
    mcdonna
    Community Member

I'm also having these problems but they just started recently. Running 1Password 7.7 (70700015 ) on MacOS 10.15.7 on a late 2019 (16") MacBook Pro. The MacOS app seemed slower than usual the past couple of days. Yesterday when dragging passwords from one vault to another, it worked for a few and then froze. This happened several times before I gave up.

I just read the suggestion to "quit completely" and will try that.

• mcdonna
    mcdonna
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Replying to my own comment ... I did Quit Completely and it worked for about 15-20 minutes before it went back to slow then freeze. Did a Force Quit and it lasted about the same length of time. I prefer Force Quit because Quit Completely broke the browser extension and I had to quit my browser in order to restart it.

I recently switched from the 1Pass 6 to 7 and am trying to organize passwords into vaults so I can share with family members, so this is turning into a debacle. I'm kind of stunned that this problem has been known for over a month and isn't fixed. Is there an ETA? Do you need more information from us? System logs or ???

Thanks,
    Donna

p.s. I will try the beta build this weekend

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Fantastic, thank you for letting us know @synacsyn :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mcdonna:

p.s. I will try the beta build this weekend

Sounds good! Let us know how that works for you :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jzehr39158, @jdmc:

The performance issues have been addressed in the beta channel already, if you want to give it a try already:

If the beats are not for you, hang in there and the fix will make its way in the next stable version :+1:

• tomhendra
    tomhendra
    Community Member

I'm on day 2 of a trial and have noticed poor performance too on 2018 MBP, so it would appear that it isn't just something that happens over a longer time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tomhendra:

What version of the 1Password app are you currently running?

• tomhendra
    tomhendra
    Community Member

@ag_ana 7.7 (70700015).

To give you a bit of context if you are looking to stress test, I had just imported 62 items via .csv and was renaming each item in 1Password desktop one-by-one. The Mac app really choked, it was beachballs all the way, but now things are smooth again and I have no complaints. :chuffed:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @tomhendra! Version 7.7, the latest stable, has not received the performance improvements yet, those are available in the beta channel at the moment. I am glad to hear that the situation has stabilized for you already, but if you would like to give the latest beta a try, we would love to know if that improves performance for you too :+1:

• tomhendra
    tomhendra
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks for the info. I'll wait for the stable release and see if I can break it again then! :smile:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds like a plan @tomhendra :)

This discussion has been closed.