An interim solution for 1Password until the Linux version has a stable release

roy_orbison
roy_orbison
Community Member

Even though the beta is coming along quite nicely, it doesn't yet have features I consider critical. When it has browser integration, drag and drop (to bypass clipboard), and global keyboard invocation, I'll switch. I still have the beta installed but I have an alternative solution for the meantime, from which I hope others can benefit.

I always have a browser running, so I've installed the extension (1PasswordX now without X), and have a shrunken window with a single tab opened to data:text/html,<head><title>1Pass</title><style type=text/css>body{background:black} I have the browser set to remember all open windows and tabs so it's always there. In my DE, I have set a window rule that matches the program and its distinct title, and attaches a global shortcut (Ctrl + Alt + \) to it. The rule also pins the window to all virtual desktops to avoid switching. This shortcut brings the window to the fore, then the usual extension shortcut (Ctrl + ,) opens the 1Password dialogue. It's not perfect but it works for dragging passwords into terminal windows, etc.

screenshot of interim 1Password solution

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Kubuntu
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @roy_orbison, thanks so much for sharing - I'm glad you've got 1Password working in a way that suits your workflow! We're looking forward to the continued development and improvement of the desktop app. Feel free to reach out if there's anything I can help with. :smile:

If handy, I've personally added a system keyboard shortcut to launch 1Password ( using Gnome's custom keyboard shortcuts function), and it works well. :smile:

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

I'm not sure the global shortcut thing was working for me when I first installed the beta, as in I set one like yours but it would launch a second process, not expand when minimised to the tray, or something odd like that. I tested it just now can say that it launches fine, but not having the mini window makes it a bit obtrusive.

If you guys got auto-typing going, it would be fine as there are still some places that even drag'n'drop won't work, such as into Chromium windows, or Adobe Creative Cloud on Windows.

• @roy_orbison:

Ah, that may be - I've only set this shortcut recently, so it's possible that it behaved differently with earlier versions.

Our Development team is working hard to steadily bring more and more functionality to the app - keep an eye on our Releases page to keep up with the latest and greatest! :smile:

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member

This is obsolete now as dragging and dropping credentials to avoid the clipboard now works from the main app window. I didn't see it explicitly mentioned in any release notes but it works for me. The drag survives Alt + Tab, too. :)

• Hey @roy_orbison, I'm glad the drag-drop functionality is working for you! :smile: :+1:

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member

Spoke too soon. Drag'n'drop still failing for my terminal. :(

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member

Which terminal are you using?

• Hey there @roy_orbison, just wanted to follow up here. I'm using 1Password for Linux and standard-issue Terminal in Ubuntu, and drag-and-drop is working well for me. If you're still running into issues with drag-and-drop, let me know - I'd love to help out. :smile:

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member

@soshiito, @Dayton_ag I've since updated 1Password, and upgraded my OS to the next version. I can confirm that Konsole now accepts credentials dragged from the main 1Pass window.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @roy_orbison, that's good to hear :)

This discussion has been closed.