Sync tab not showing up in preferences

Options
Lightpath
Lightpath
Community Member

I share a vault over icloud. All of my systems work fine except my main one which does not have a sync button available in preferences.

Please identify the steps to get the sync tab to appear in preferences so I can sync over icloud.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lightpath
    Lightpath
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

For those that are as frustrated as I was trying to fix this, here's how you do it:

1. Start 1password
    2. Open preferences
    3. click on Accounts
    4. Click your account that you are logged in as
    5. Click the minus button in the lower left hand corner to remove the account you are signed in as (We'll fix this after we deal with the main problem. Your 1password.com vaults should be safe even if we log out of your account)
    6. You will be presented with a dialog that asks you to log in again. Do not. Click on "use another method" and keep going backwards until you get to a dialog that allows you to select how you want to sync, and click "icloud". Sadly I can't figure out how to "re-mess up" my configuration so I can give you the exact verbiage, but you need to keep going "back" until you have the icloud option.
    7. Click on icloud and follow the dialogs. You'll open 1password successfully, but you won't have your non-icloud vaults.
    8. Once you have your icloud vault up and showing in 1password Click 1Password7 in the menu, and select preferences
    9. Bask in the light of the sync tab that for some absurd reason is hidden if you log in with an account.

Now let's fix your non-icloud vaults:

1. Since you're already in the preferences dialog: click on "Accounts"
    2. Click the little + in the lower left hand corner of the accounts tab
    3. Sign in. To get your secret key you should log into 1password.com and click on your name in the upper right hand corner. Click profile to open your profile. You'll have all of your private information there. Unless you are in a specific team (You'll probably know if you are) your "sign in address" should be my.1password.com
    4. Once you are done signing in you should have access to all of your vaults.

To the 1password devs: This is bad design and you should fix it. You should be able to find a UI methodology that allows both 1password.com sync for some vaults and icloud or dropbox for others. I shouldn't have to spend literally hours trying to figure out how to get your software to work as advertised. I came >< that close to switching to LastPa$$ because of this, and I've purchased your software over and over again over the years, I'm a loyal customer. You can do better.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lightpath!

Thank you for sharing the instructions that worked for you! In case someone else stumbles upon this in the future, here is a quicker way: under 1Password Preferences > Advanced tab, enable the option named Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. This will allow you to add a vault synced on iCloud, for example, while avoiding all of the additional steps of removing and readding a 1Password account :+1:

This discussion has been closed.