Feature Request: add ability for 1password for Mac to decode Google Authenticator Export

Options
Syd
Syd
Community Member
edited February 2021 in Business and Teams

Please add the ability to read Google Authenticator export QR codes. (the secret is encoded in these) Right now it doesn't even recognize them and does nothing when either I hold up my phone to the camera, or screen capture the phone and transfer the image to the mac and put it in the screen reader.

Info on the algorithm is at https://github.com/scito/extract_otp_secret_keys

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:2fa google import

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Syd!

Right now it doesn't even recognize them and does nothing when either I hold up my phone to the camera, or screen capture the phone and transfer the image to the mac and put it in the screen reader.

This would be expected behavior at the moment, since the 1Password QR code reader accepts TOTP QR codes, but it sounds like this Google Authenticator export is not a TOTP code, but rather a list of it. Is my understanding correct?

• Syd
    Syd
    Community Member
    Options

I only exported one and I didn’t decode the picture with another device, but that might be true. I just know it didn’t work and it would be a nice feature to have

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Syd:

If the QR code actually contains TOTP information, 1Password will be able to read it. But if it is in another format, at the moment it cannot do that, although I agree that it would be nice in this case!

• bdoserror
    bdoserror
    Community Member
    Options

Having just found out that 1Password does TOTP generation, I too would vote for his feature.

• :+1: :chuffed:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#619

This discussion has been closed.