1Password 7.6 slow as molasses on macOS Catalina

2»

Comments

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

I'm experiencing this on macOS 10.15.7 with 1Password 7.7 as well.

Is it confirmed that the beta fixes this and is it just as secure as the stable version?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@slacker074:

The latest beta fixed it for several users, but not all of them. It certainly cannot hurt to give it a try if you are also experiencing this :+1: Let us know how it goes!

• mjb_sf
    mjb_sf
    Community Member

Yes, I can confirm that we're struggling with the same issues. Business account with 417 items and 17 vaults.

1Password7
    Version 7.7 (70700016)
    Mac App Store

MacOS 11.1 Big Sur

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @mjb_sf, and for sharing the system information :+1: Have you given the latest beta a try already?

• nathaniom
    nathaniom
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

This is still occuring with the latest beta:

Version 7.7.1.BETA-6 (70701006)

Here is a video of just trying to unlock a single vault with 1 item in it:

https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/1password/1password.mp4

It has been ongoing for over a month now with no improvement. Restarting the app helps but after a hour or so it's back to being sluggish.

• @nathaniom

Can you reproduce this and then immediately send us a diagnostic report from your device?

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:

Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. nathaniom
    A link to your post. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/586061/#Comment_586061

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file. You'll also receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.
  • @mjb_sf

Are you open to trying the beta and help us locate any edge cases? If so, you can use this set of instructions to enable the betas.

• The betas are not available with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. If you are using that version, you would need to switch to the website version and then enable the betas.

We understand betas are not for everyone.

--

Please create a diagnostic report from your device and send it to us after encountering any issues such as unlocking and freezing.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:

Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum.
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/116477/1password-7-6-slow-as-molasses-on-macos-catalina/p2

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file. You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.
  • nathaniom
    nathaniom
    Community Member

I didn't get a ticket number back but I emailed a diagnostic report off to support@1password.com at 14:20 UTC.

• @nathaniom

I found it. XVK-93943-497 ;)

ref: XVK-93943-497

• BradN
    BradN
    Community Member

I recently started with 1p7 and have been having the same problem as others. Using a MBP with Big Sur (11.2.1). At least 10 seconds of beachball renders 1P7 very inefficient. I've enjoyed the earlier versions of 1P and like the 1P7 upgrades, but will not be able to stay with it if this cannot get resolved. I would really appreciate hearing something more definitive from 1Password about their attention to this problem other than that they have been working on it over the past 5 months.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BradN:

Have you give the latest beta a try already? Let us know if that fixes the issue for you too :+1:

Here are the instructions to switch to the beta channel, should you need them:

Use 1Password beta releases

• RDye
    RDye
    Community Member

Have waited over three months for this serious problem to be resolved. So far there has been only lip service and beta 'solutions' that have not really panned out. 1Password needs to step up and address this as their number 1 top priority issue. Personally, I don't need a lot more fancy features, I just want a rock solid, stable application that does not hang up every time I try to change an entry. This has gone on long enough. If 1Password cannot support the macOS community and quickly/fully correct this issue, then it is time to go elsewhere.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RDye:

So far there has been only lip service and beta 'solutions' that have not really panned out.

When you say that the betas "have not really panned out", do you mean that you tried the beta and were still experiencing the issue? What version of 1Password beta did you try?

• RDye
    RDye
    Community Member

My son-in-law and I tried Ver 7.7.1.BETA-6 (70701006) on his 2019 MacBook Pro running Big Sur. We experienced slow performance similar to that of the 7.7 release. Have not tried BETA-7 through BETA-9. I'm not comfortable experimenting with beta software when it deals with sensitive data. After experiencing the issues in Ver 7.7, I reverted to Ver 7.6 which is usable (with some minor performance issues) on my 2018 MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur Ver 11.2.2. That's where I've stayed. Does 1Password now have a fully tested fix for this issue and, if so, when will we see a production release?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RDye:

I'm not comfortable experimenting with beta software when it deals with sensitive data.

I absolutely understand, betas are not for everyone :) In this case, you can wait for the next stable release :+1:

Does 1Password now have a fully tested fix for this issue and, if so, when will we see a production release?

We don't have a specific timeline, but the next stable version will include all of the improvements included in the latest beta releases.

• RDye
    RDye
    Community Member

Thanks, but curious...have the developers identified the root cause(s) of the performance issues or is this still under investigation? If still being worked, is this being treated as a high priority item? This has been going on for some time now and I am concerned about being able to stay with 1Password for the long haul. I've been looking at LastPass, but I really prefer 1Password's security/recovery model and many of its other features. I've been with 1Password for over 4 years and totally dread having to migrate to another solution. Need some sign of hope.

• @RDye

Hope is on the horizon. The beta has indeed been going on for some time. I believe we are nearing the end of the cycle. Provided, of course, that there are no show stoppers as we march towards the finish line. We're working on getting a new release to you as soon as possible. I have had many successful reports from users here in the forum and via email support. I think you'll be very pleased when the release drops.

If it helps, I have run the beta with my personal data for 13 years now. I don't believe I ever missed a single one. That said, I can understand not wanting to use a beta for sensitive data.

• RDye
    RDye
    Community Member

Outstanding work on 1Password 7 Version 7.8 (70800000)!! I've spent hours today entering and editing objects on my 2018 MacBook Pro (macOS Big Sur Ver 11.2.2) and have not experienced any performance issues at all. The application opens instantly with no beach balling during use. 1Password is back to being a pleasure to use. Thank you to all involved!

• Excellent! I'm happy to hear things are working better. I'll pass your comments along to the team. I know they'll be happy to hear the good news.

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

Is the stable version of 7.8 out?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Yes it is @slacker074 :+1:

• bobbyt
    bobbyt
    Community Member

I'm having major performance issues. To put it into context, I'm trying to get access to an entry in the app...

I ran 1Password on my laptop & typed in a search.

It by default highlighted the first result, so I clicked on the entry I needed to see...

After several minutes of the screen not updating I hopped on a different computer, searched for 1Password performance which lead me to this thread, performed a password reset for this forum (since I cannot access my password within 1Password), completed the password reset, signed in & started typing this.... I'm still staring at the initially highlighted result waiting for it to refresh to my selected result after all of this...

Getting info on both my system & 1Password:
    macOS 10.15.6
    1Password: 7.8 (from get info on the app icon -- I'm afraid to select "About" at this point).

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member

I have not had issues with the performance of 1Password for Mac since the 7.8 release. @bobbyt what is your setup like? If you restart the computer this is happening on does the problem come back?

• @boobt

If you're at a point where you can't try a computer restart, you can try the following. Later on, I would suggest giving the computer a restart, if possible.

1. Quit Safari.
    2. Quit 1Password completely. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds, 5-10 maybe, and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.
This discussion has been closed.