Works only in Safari, but not in Firefox and Brave

Options
shashik
shashik
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,
I love this cool app but despite trying several things I can't make the extension work in Firefox 86 nor Brave 1.20.110. It only works for Safari. I even did Firefox Refresh as I read it worked for one user online (not here) but still no luck for me.

The app icon is shown on the toolbars for both Firefox and Brave but still when I click on the app in the toolbar at the top of my screen, it shows "Install the 1Password Extension.." dialogue every single time. On top of this when I remove and add the extension again, and when the login page shows up, when I try to login with the secret key and master password, it fails. However the app is accepting the master password without any problem.

Please help, I badly need it on Firefox and Brave both.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Big Sur 11.2.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shashik - thanks for reaching out! Do you use 1Password with a license? If so, make sure you've installed our classic extension in your browsers: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/. Let me know how things go with that!

• shashik
    shashik
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi @Joy_1P thanks for your help. Yes I have a license from my company and the login works only with the corporate login not the usual login of 1Password. So when I did that in Brave it showed a small dialogue on the toolbar to add 1Password to Brave though the extension is already added to the toolbar. I added anyway and it started working in Brave.

Now I can use it on Safari and Brave. But doing the same thing like using corporate login and logging into it is not doing the same on Firefox, it doesn't ask whether to add 1Password to Firefox and I tried the classic extension. It doesn't work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shashik:

But doing the same thing like using corporate login and logging into it is not doing the same on Firefox, it doesn't ask whether to add 1Password to Firefox and I tried the classic extension. It doesn't work.

Can you please elaborate? What happens when you click on the download link for the 1Password browser extension for Firefox exactly?

• shashik
    shashik
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

@ag_ana Hi, the extension gets installed and I can see the 1Password icon in the tool bar but nothing happens. I restarted my Firefox, restarted my Mac nothing happens. As mentioned in my first post I even did Firefox Refresh nothing happens. So when I try to login into any site the icon doesn't show up next to the username field or above it.

• shashik
    shashik
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Also I would like to mention that it is working fine in Brave and I'm able to save logins but still in the app in the menu above when clicked still shows the same dialogue "Install the 1Password extension..".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shashik:

Just to confirm, can you please let us know the exact version of the 1Password browser extension which you installed both in Brave and Firefox?

• shashik
    shashik
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I have posted the screenshots below. As you can see from the third screenshot 1Password is doing its job in the username field but the app still shows to install the extension.

Firefox

Brave

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shashik:

Thank you for the screenshots! As I suspected, you have installed two different browser extensions. Please make sure you install the classic browser extension in Brave too, like you did in Firefox:

Get the 1Password classic extension

Currently in Brave you have the most recent browser extension installed instead , which does not communicate with the desktop app. That's why 1Password mini is telling you to install the browser extension ;)

With regards to Firefox instead, can you give that a try in a non-private window, and see if the extension works there?

• shashik
    shashik
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Cool but on Brave after I logged into my corporate login my company provided it suggested to add 1Password to Brave, I did and it started working. As you suggested I removed the extension and added the classic extension, now the dialogue to install is not showing up but it is not working.

I tried on Firefox like you suggested, and now the dialogue to install the extension is not showing up but still not working in both normal and private windows.

• shashik
    shashik
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

@ag_ana On Brave I logged in just to check and this dialogue showed up however I didn't see the 1Password icon on the username or the password fields while logging in.

edit: so I tried to see if it is the same in Firefox and exactly like Brave the icon didn't show up in username or password field but the same dialogue showed up after logging in.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shashik:

On Brave I logged in just to check and this dialogue showed up however I didn't see the 1Password icon on the username or the password fields while logging in.

This is normal: the classic browser extension does not show up inside the login forms. Only the latest one behaves like that. Hopefully soon we will only have a single extension so you can have the best of both worlds, but at the moment we still have both.

In Firefox, where you see the text "Search Private" in the search bar, can you click on the little icon to its left, and choose "All Vaults" from the list? I wonder if you don't have any items inside your Private vault, and if they are perhaps stored in a different vault, which would explain why the list is empty.

• shashik
    shashik
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

@ag_ana Ok, all the confusion started because the icon is showing up in Safari for every page and as the icon was not showing up I assumed it was not working in Firefox and Brave. And finally I figured out how to make them work in Firefox and Brave.

There is a difference in how the mini app at the top works in Firefox and Brave. In Firefox, after you save a login, when you open the same page you will have to open the mini app go to that particular page and click on Go, and the login and password get filled.

And in Brave, it doesn't work like that, when you click on Go, it opens the page in a new tab and fills the login and password.

I think this would not be easy to use as the login pages keep increasing you will have to scroll down or go to that particular page in a folder and click Go after you the open the page in Firefox or just click Go in Brave to open the page by itself.

But the way it worked on Brave before you suggested me to install classic extension was same as it works in Safari. The icon shows up and gives suggestions to save or fill accordingly. I think this is the best way to use this app and saves a lot of time and easy to use. The current setup in Brave and Firefox are not very friendly to use.

Also I don't see a permanent delete from the Trash in the main app. Would the deleted items be in Trash forever?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shashik:

If you like that one more, you are absolutely free to use the latest 1Password extension in your browser, the one that shows up directly in form fields, the same way this works in Safari. However, you need to accept the fact that 1Password mini in your menu bar will keep asking you to install the classic browser extension as you showed in your previous screenshots.

As I mentioned before, I think in the future there will only be a single extension, so the situation should be less confusing then :)

Also I don't see a permanent delete from the Trash in the main app. Would the deleted items be in Trash forever?

In the 1Password desktop app, you can right-click on the Trash and select Empty Trash....

• shashik
    shashik
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

@ag_ana

However, you need to accept the fact that 1Password mini in your menu bar will keep asking you to install the classic browser extension as you showed in your previous screenshots.

Exactly, it won't be easy using that either but if it shows up on all pages then there won't be any need for me to access the mini app from the top. I will try and see how it works.

As I mentioned before, I think in the future there will only be a single extension, so the situation should be less confusing then :)

Please, need this feature really bad across all the browsers.

Thanks, I can empty the trash.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shashik:

Exactly, it won't be easy using that either but if it shows up on all pages then there won't be any need for me to access the mini app from the top. I will try and see how it works.

That is correct: personally, if you use the browser extension, and you also have the 1Password for Mac app installed, you can do everything between the app and the extension. Using 1Password from the menu bar in this case will hardly ever be necessary, since there is nothing that you can do there that you cannot do in the desktop app or the browser extension :+1:

• shashik
    shashik
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

That is correct: personally, if you use the browser extension, and you also have the 1Password for Mac app installed, you can do everything between the app and the extension. Using 1Password from the menu bar in this case will hardly ever be necessary, since there is nothing that you can do there that you cannot do in the desktop app or the browser extension :+1:

Exactly, thanks :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome, happy to help :)

This discussion has been closed.