To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Data Linked to You & Data Not Linked to You

Options
Philipp
Philipp
Community Member
edited February 2021 in Memberships

Hi,

In the App Store for 1Password I have seen 1Password use several details for my person...

***Data Linked to You
*User Content
*Identifiers
*Usage Data

***Data Not Linked to You
*Diagnostics

When a product is for free I understand I maybe have to pay with my personal data.
From my point of view 1Password is really great, but not the cheapest product on the market also.
So I do not understand why you are collecting so much details? For what are you using them?
Is there any plan to reduce this collecting mania?

For example LastPass is in criticism because they have integrated tools to share user statistics with several third-party providers too. The article is in German language, but maybe you are still interested and have the possibility to translate it.
https://www.kuketz-blog.de/lastpass-android-drittanbieter-ueberwachen-jeden-schritt/
https://www.kuketz-blog.de/der-lastpass-support-hat-offenbar-keine-kenntnis-ueber-das-user-tracking/

I think passwords are a very sensitive thing. I do not want to share my data in a similar way with the world.

Ciao
Philipp

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

I am not from the 1Password team but my comments are the following:

First of all, this is a list of data that might be collected, not a list of data that always is collected.

Data Linked to You

• Location : If you have a 1Password Account you can see the last devices and their IP that logged in with your account. That is already "approximate location" by Apple's very strict definition. The App does not have access to Location Services and has never asked for it.
    • Contact Info : Well, you provide your name und email adress for the 1Password account, don't you?
    • User Content: You do save your passwords in the app, so it's your content and the app collects it. That's what you bought it for :).
    • *dentifiers: The ID of your phone is included in the diagnostics report (you can send one to yourself in the menu to see what it contains) to be sure which device is which. It only gets created if you prompt it to and it is sent via your email account so you have full control. Also the Device ID (at least its name and os version) is collected for the "last used devices" in your account overview.
    • Usage Data: I assume this has also got to do with the "last used devices".

Data Not Linked to You

• Diagnostics: These are crash reports that do not contain your personal information.

What I can also say generally is that the 1Password Web Interface (the WebApp) in contrast to lots of other password managers does not contact any trackers whatsover. 1Password is very honest and cautious about the data they collect (see my list above).

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

Now I have writte a nice reply and through editing it twice it was caught by the spam protection. Will someone from the team rescue it? :D Please @Ben oder @ag_ana or some other great member of the support team 8-)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Philipp 1Password does not have access to your passwords or anything else in your vault, so they cannot share any of this with third parties. They do need certain information in order to manage your account and the service they provide, but they promise to keep this confidential. This is detailed on the following page:

https://1password.com/legal/privacy/

In order to provide a reliable service it is necessary and proportionate for service providers to keep track of how many users they have, what platforms they are using, where they are located and how often they use the service. Any service requiring payment also needs to keep track of payment information and banks require businesses to take reasonable steps to monitor transactions and prevent fraud. You cannot manage a business the size of 1Password without this information.

• @peacekeeper

Post restored. :)

• @peacekeeper @missingbits

Thanks for the posts.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for clarification!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni