Update on Emergency Access?

Options
VT1P
VT1P
Community Member

Does 1Password have any update on plans to offer an Emergency Access feature? I am a longtime user of 1Password's licensed version. However, I also pay for a premium version of Dashlane that I only use for their Emergency Access feature. I would prefer to rely solely on 1Password's licensed or account version, but every time I check 1Password has still not implemented an Emergency Access feature.

My wife and I have adult children and we would like to provide a digital pathway for them to gain access to our important information, including copies of our wills and financial records, if we die or become incapacitated. They already know how to access this information in our home safe, but they live several states away from us, so a digital means of access is important. In fact, if I were to die or become incapacitated, I would want our adult children to have digital access to our important information so they could assist my wife in understanding and managing our finances, or her finances if I am gone.

I saw in an earlier discussion that 1Password thinks Emergency Access features are unsafe, because anyone could break into your home, hold you hostage for the Emergency Access waiting period, and then gain access to your secure digital information. I think this is a spurious reason, partly because anyone who breaks into my home could just threaten my life and make me tell them my 1P master password, but also because the Dashlane and LastPass Emergency Access features only provide access people who are already "recognized" in a member's designated emergency access list. I think Emergency Access is an important feature and I would like 1Password to offer it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @VT1P

The discussion in this thread may be of interest to you:

Sharing a subset of my passwords to family in emergency situations

Please let me know if that helps.

Ben

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

I only have experience with the licensed version of 1P. Setting up a Family account with a guest vault for our adult children would be OK if they could request access to the vault and then receive access if I do not respond with a "No" within a day or two.

Adding an attorney to the loop and requiring our children to contact the attorney for access to the guest vault seems like the long way around the barn, with much effort and time delay, compared to the straightforward Emergency Access features offered by Dashlane and LastPass.

• Ben
    Options

@VT1P

Gotcha. Yeah, we don't have that, specifically, and I'm not aware of any definite plans to implement it; sorry. I can certainly pass your suggestion along to the team though. :+1: At the moment what I outlined in that post would be the closest we offer.

Ben

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you passing on my suggestion!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    Options

@sylath

Thank you very much for spending the time to develop a suggestion for me. I will set it up and see if I can get it to work.

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    Options

@sylath

Thanks. I have used Applescript. I'll try to figure them out myself. If I don't do it myself I won't fully understand the scripts and I won't be able to maintain them if they don't work in the future.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This can be done with a 1PW membership also, not just a licence. You would have to allow local vaults in the Advanced section of Preferences, and then that local vault can be synced to Dropbox. Note that there are password issues with this approach.

• artinnj
    artinnj
    Community Member
    Options

This is the Dashlane feature I miss the most. I don’t understand why your product management team doesn’t see this as a priority. This is what we call a “spouse friendly feature”.

The second feature is not being able to set the lock time for the in browser tool. I would like to set it to 8 hours so I only need to enter it once per workday.

• artinnj
    artinnj
    Community Member
    Options

This is the Dashlane feature I miss the most. I don’t understand why your product management team doesn’t see this as a priority. This is what we call a “spouse friendly feature”.

The second feature is not being able to set the lock time for the in browser tool. I would like to set it to 8 hours so I only need to enter it once per workday.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@artinnj:

You can already extend the autolock time in the extension settings if you wish ;)

This discussion has been closed.